Assistant/Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The Engineering and Technology Department is searching for one tenure-track faculty to prepare career-ready engineers through hands-on learning experiences. The new faculty member will have a broad range of responsibilities and opportunities in the department. The anticipated start date for this position is August 24, 2020.
Required of all candidates:
- PhD or PhD candidate in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline with completed doctorate required for tenure -OR- MS in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline and four (4) or more years industrial work history in the areas of the primary teaching responsibilities (see below)
- Ability to teach in a lecture/lab environment
- Excellence in oral and written English communication
Preferred of all candidates:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- Experience working in a collaborative environment
- Three (3) or more years of industrial or laboratory experience.
- Teach courses related to the following two or more topics (depending on experience and qualifications):
- Machine Component Design
- Capstone/Senior Design Projects
- Engineering Mechanics
- System Dynamics/Modeling
- Develop curriculum
- Establish and maintain laboratories and equipment
- Actively engage in research
- Participate in university service activities
- Develop and maintain contacts and liaison with industry and professional associations
- Advise students
- Assessment of student learning
- Aid in maintaining program accreditation
The Engineering and Technology Department is one of seven departments in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Management (CSTEMM). The department has approximately 40 full-time faculty and staff, four of whom are full-time technicians. The department provides courses for its well-established and accredited undergraduate programs in Computer & Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering (B.S. and M.S.), Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Engineering Technology, and Packaging, plus other programs throughout the University.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system—it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
The salary will be competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
A successful candidate must have authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/police/clery.cfm
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
- Unofficial copies of transcripts; official transcripts required at time of hire
Please submit your completed applications by 11:59 PM on November 11, 2019 to ensure your application is reviewed. Screening of applications may continue until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Abhimanyu Ghosh
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Monica Duncan
Job Family: Teaching