Assistant Professor, Game Art - 3D Modeling
The School of Art & Design at the University of Wisconsin–Stout invites applications for an open position in Game Art, with an emphasis in 3D Modeling, commencing fall semester of 2023. This position will support BFA and MFA students studying Game Design and Development – Art. The Assistant Professor position is a tenure-track, 9-month academic year position. Position expectations primarily include teaching at the undergraduate level, graduate level, outreach to industry, creative research, and service to the department, college, and university. UW-Stout's School of Art & Design is NASAD (National Association of Schools of Art and Design) accredited.
In addition to this position, the School of Art & Design at the University of Wisconsin-Stout is also seeking to fill a tenure-track position in Animation. Candidates interested in more than one position must submit a separate application for each position per the requirements indicated. To view the full details of the other position, please visit: https://jobs.uwstout.edu/assistant-professor-of-animation/job/21186782
Minimum / Required
- At least two years of teaching or experience in the field of 3D modeling
- Master’s degree in 3D modeling, game design, animation, or a related field by employment start date
- An interest in advancing student learning in the area of 3D modeling
- Knowledge of 3D modeling software such as Autodesk Maya
- Expertise and ability to work in an environment that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Interest in or experience with collaborations in classroom, university, and industry settings
- Interest in leadership opportunities
- Terminal degree in 3D modeling, game design, animation, or a related field
Teach studio courses each semester, following National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) guidelines, that may include beginning, intermediate and advanced game art & design classes such as hard surface modeling, digital sculpting, and other studio classes that support the major.
Other responsibilities include:
- Contributing to a rigorous learning environment with willingness to use traditional, alternative, and online delivery methods
- Demonstrating organizational skills, collegiality, and the potential for future leadership in the Game Design & Development-Art program
- Participating in a highly collaborative environment, both in and out of the classroom
- Collaborating with the Game Design & Development-Art BFA Program Director to develop new curriculum
- Exhibiting commitment to undergraduate teaching and interest in graduate level (MFA) teaching/support
- Providing academic advisement for students; including assessment of student learning
- Performing service to the department, college, and university contributing to academic program assessment and continuous improvement processes
- Engaging in professional creative research
- Pursuing external funding
- Performing other duties as designated by Department Chair
Note: Terminal degree (M.F.A., Ph.D., etc.) required for tenure and promotion, unless by special exception process
The Game Design & Development Program at UW-Stout is the largest in the region and competes on both a regional and national level, attracting students from around the country and regularly participating in industry events such as Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Game Developers Conference (GDC), Intel University Showcase and professional organizations such as International Game Developers Association (IGDA), International Digital Media and Arts Association (IDMAA) and the Higher Education Video Games Alliance (HEVGA). The major collaborates directly with UW-Stout's Computer Science BS that boasts over 450 students across all concentrations.
The Game Design & Development Program has two new game development studios with industry standard 2D and 3D hardware and software provided to both students and faculty, including Cintiq drawing tablets, dual monitors, Unreal & Unity Game Engines, Adobe Creative Cloud, Autodesk Maya, and Pixologic ZBrush. Additionally, a collaborative studio space for upper-level group projects is adjacent to the labs, and also contains a Vicon motion capture system. The School of Art & Design is accredited by NASAD.
For more information, please visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/programs/bfa-game-design-and-development-art
The School of Art & Design has over 85 faculty/staff and over 1,200 students, making it the largest public higher education art and design entity in the upper Midwest. In addition to the Game Design and Development BFA, there are five other distinct BFA programs, including Graphic & Interactive Design, Animation and Digital Media, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Studio Art). The school is also home to the Bachelor of Sciences in Video Production and also Arts Administration and Entrepreneurship, as well as an MFA program in Design. For more information, please visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/artdes/
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community .
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three professional references
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts required at time of hire)
- Professional Portfolio: Upload a single, multipage PDF including up to 20 samples of personal/professional design work with brief written descriptions. Please include links to time-based work such as turntables, games, reels, or animations.
- Evidence of interest in advancing student learning: Upload a single, multipage PDF including up to 20 examples of student work, syllabi, course materials, mentorship outcomes, leadership training, etc. Please include links to time-based work such as turntables, games, reels, or animations.
- Inclusivity statement: Equity, diversity and inclusion are important to the mission of UW-Stout. Write a separate one-page or less statement demonstrating your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion that supports students’ success.
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by Sunday, January 15, 2023. Applications submitted after 1/15/2023 may be reviewed until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Michael Heagle
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: MaryJo Pittman
Job Family: Teaching
Job Reference #: 19016