Assistant Professor of Fashion Design & Development Program
The School of Art & Design at the University of Wisconsin-Stout invites applications for an open position in the Fashion Design and Development Program, commencing the fall semester of 2024. The Assistant Professor position is a tenure-track, 9-month academic year position. Position expectations primarily include teaching at the undergraduate level, graduate level, outreach to industry, creative research, and service to the department, college, and university. UW-Stout's School of Art & Design is NASAD (National Association of Schools of Art and Design) accredited.
APPOINTMENT START DATE: August 19, 2024
Minimum / Required:
- Terminal Degree:
Earned MFA, Ph.D., or other terminal degree in fashion, merchandising, retail or related field. ABD status will be considered with Ph.D. or other terminal degree, required by the end of the second year of employment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to teach university-level courses in fashion design, fashion product development, retailing, or related field.
- Interest in advancing student learning in fashion, apparel, textiles, and retail.
- Fashion design, fashion product development, merchandising, textiles, or related industry work experiences (e.g., apparel design, apparel product development/management, 2D and 3D software).
- Evidence of a cohesive program of research as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications and/or conference proceedings.
- Proficiency in product design, development/management, and/or merchandising software programs in fashion areas.
- Commitment to teaching excellence and mentorship of undergraduates.
- Demonstrated potential and interest in multi-disciplinary collaborations.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse stakeholders.
- Commitment to cultivating a work environment and student experience that embraces inclusion.
- Teach lecture and lab courses each semester, that may include introductory, intermediate, and advanced fashion design and development, quality analysis, digital design, and studio classes.
- Provide student academic advisement and conduct assessment of student learning. This includes contributing to academic program assessments, accreditation, and continuous improvement processes in collaboration with faculty and staff.
- Develop a productive research program with the potential for refereed scholarship (peer-reviewed publications, peer-reviewed creative scholarship); conduct original research in areas of fashion.
- Assist in maintaining lab equipment and facilities.
- Develop strong partnerships with the fashion and textile industries for advanced students' learning experiences.
- Participate in program events and departmental meetings; demonstrate a commitment to teamwork.
- Perform university, community, and professional services.
- Perform other duties as designated by Department Chair.
UW-Stout' s Bachelor of Science of Fashion Design and Development Program provides students with knowledge, skills, and hands-on learning experiences to succeed in a wide variety of careers in the fashion and textile industries, combining robust art foundations with discipline-specific courses in advanced technologies. Students produce individual and collaborative works to present in various venues, ranging from corporate to professional organizations in the field.
The Design Department is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas. For more information, please visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/programs/bs-fashion-retail
The School of Art & Design has over 85 faculty/staff and over 1,300 students, making it the largest higher education art and design entity in the upper Midwest. The School of Art & Design student population accounts for roughly 20% of the on-campus undergraduate population at UW-Stout. Our school serves the MFA in Design, eight undergraduate degrees, and six minors. For more information, please visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/academics/colleges-schools/college-arts-and-human-sciences/school-art-design
Complete applications received by the end of day, Sunday, February 11, 2024, are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after February 11th, may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter: Use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three professional references.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts.
- Professional/Teaching portfolio: A link to an online portfolio of up to 20 images of professional/creative work and/or up to 20 images of student work.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application, you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual' s disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Dr. Jongeun Rhee
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Michael Capel
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin' s only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow' s leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin' s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin' s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region, visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate' s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Teaching