Assistant Professor, Packaging
The Engineering and Technology Department (E&T) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Packaging. The packaging program, in the E&T Department at UW-Stout, is one of only a handful of nationally recognized undergraduate programs in Packaging and awards 4-year bachelor’s degrees upon the completion of a hands-on, applied-learning-focused curriculum. The successful candidate will be expected to teach in at least two of the areas listed in the Responsibilities section below. The anticipated start date is August 21, 2023.
- One of the following by employment start date
- PhD with at least one degree in Packaging or in related engineering and technology discipline, or
- Master of Science in with at least one degree in Packaging or in related engineering and technology discipline, AND four (4) or more years of experience in industry (or a similar environment) in the areas of teaching responsibilities (see below)
- Ability to teach in a combined lecture and lab environment
- Excellence in oral and written English communication
- Interest in advancing student learning in the area of packaging
- Commitment to the core values of equity, diversity, and inclusivity
- One of the following by employment start date
- Teach courses related to two or more of the following topics (depending on experience and qualifications):
- Packaging fundamentals
- Distribution packaging
- Packaging materials
- Packaging dynamics
- Packaging research and development
- Establish and maintain laboratories and equipment.
- Develop and maintain contacts and liaison with industry and professional associations.
- Provide student academic advisement and conduct assessment of student learning.
- Contribute to academic program assessment and continuous improvement in collaboration with faculty and staff.
- Develop curriculum.
- Actively engage in research.
- Participate in departmental and university service activities.
The Engineering and Technology (E&T) Department is one of eight departments in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Management (CSTEMM). The department has approximately 40 full-time faculty and staff, four of whom are full-time technicians. The department provides courses for its well-established and accredited undergraduate programs in Computer & Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering (B.S. and M.S.), Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Engineering Technology, and Packaging, plus other programs throughout the University. UW-Stout’s Engineering and Technology Department is committed to creating an inclusive campus community.
To apply click on the Apply button provided or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs > Search All Jobs
Applications received by end of day, 11:59 PM CDT on February 14th, 2023, are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after February 14th, 2023 may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (* See below, 1 page or less)
- Curriculum vitae (10 pages or less)
- 1-page document containing names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references (in addition to any fields in the online application)
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degrees (if applicable); official transcripts required at the time of hire
- Inclusivity statement (Separate one-page or less document) demonstrating your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion that supports student success. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
If you have questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Min DeGruson
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Janell Reitz
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national, and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Teaching