Assistant Professor: Time-Based Media
The School of Art and Design at the University of Wisconsin-Stout invites applications for an Assistant Professor in Time-Based Media, commencing fall of 2018. This is a tenure-track, 9-month academic year position.
Minimum / Required:
- MFA or equivalent terminal degree in Time-Based Media or closely related field by employment start date
- Applied knowledge of digital video and photo production processes
Preferred / Desired Experience:
- Applied knowledge of one or more of the following:
- VFX and Compositing
- Motion Graphics
- AR/VR and other emerging screen based technologies
- Evidence of teaching potential, including traditional and/or online approaches
- Proficiency in industry standard time-based media software
Teach studio courses each semester, following National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) guidelines, that may include foundation, intermediate and advanced time-based design, video, and/or photo classes. This position will support BFA students in Game Design and Development, Entertainment Design, Graphic Design and Interactive Media, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Studio Art, as well as graduate students in the MFA in Design program. This position is extremely vital to the growth, recruitment, enhanced visibility, promotion, continued accreditation, and sustained excellence of our programs.
Other responsibilities include:
- Contributing to a rigorous learning environment with willingness to use traditional, alternative and digital delivery methods
- Exploring connections and opportunities for collaboration with other disciplines on campus
- Demonstrating organizational skills, collegiality, and the potential for future leadership in the Department and School
- Collaborating with the Department of Design faculty to maintain / develop course curricula
- Providing academic advisement for students
- Engaging in service to university, local, state, and national community partners
- Maintaining active professional creative research contributions
- Pursuing external funding
- Assessing student learning within the program
- Working with culturally diverse populations to address challenges and foster an inclusive environment
- Performing other duties as designated by Chair
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF ART & DESIGN
The School of Art & Design has over 60 faculty/staff and over 1,000 students. There are six distinct BFA programs (Graphic Design and Interactive Media, Entertainment Design, Game Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Studio Art) and an MFA program in Design. The School of Art & Design is NASAD accredited. For more information, please visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/artdes/ and https://www.uwstout.edu/programs/mfad
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/community.cfm. Facts and data about the university: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/facts.cfm.
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, employment will be contingent upon a criminal background check.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/police/clery.cfm
All materials must be submitted via our online application system in the form of four (4) unique PDFs (see below). Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed.
Please note: Once you have submitted your application and attached materials you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
1. Application – Upload a single, multipage PDF document including:
- Letter of application
- Teaching philosophy
- Transcripts (unofficial)
- Contact information for three references (including email addresses and telephone numbers)
3. Portfolio – Upload a single, multipage PDF document including: 20 samples of personal/professional design work with brief written descriptions. For time-based media examples, please include link(s) to online work examples (such as Vimeo/YouTube, games, or a personal website)
4. Evidence of Teaching Potential – Upload a single, multipage PDF document including 10-20 samples with list of student work, if available. For time-based media examples, please include link(s) to online student work examples (such as Vimeo/YouTube, games or a personal website).
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by 1/15/2018. Screening of applications will begin January 16th and may continue until the position is filled.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
- Search Chair: Dr. Cynthia Bland
- Phone: (715) 232-1387
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
- TA Coordinator: Mary Jo Pittman
- Phone: (715) 232-1097
- Email: email@example.comU
Job Family: Teaching