Assistive Technologist, Stout Vocational Rehabilitation Institute *Extended deadline
The Assistive Technologist is responsible for conducting assistive technology assessments, completing time-sensitive assistive technology implementations, communicating with referral sources and others verbally and in writing, and for training consumers and rehabilitation professionals in applications of assistive technology. Anticipated start date: September 1st, 2021.
Minimum / Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Vocational Rehabilitation, Occupational Therapy, Rehabilitation, or related field.
- Knowledge and experience with Assistive Technology equipment, procedures, materials, training, and implementation.
- The ability to communicate with, relate to and establish rapport with consumers and professionals in verbal and written formats.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse stakeholders.
- 2 plus years of experience in the area of Assistive Technology, working with persons with disabilities.
- Assistive Technology Professional (ATP) Certification or eligibility to sit for the exam within one year of starting position.
- Knowledge and experience with the areas of Learning Disability and Sensory loss.
- Assistive Technology fabrication (to design and build or work collaboratively with the fabrication lab to develop custom assistive technology solutions)
- Master’s degree in Vocational Rehabilitation, Occupational Therapy, Rehabilitation, or related field.
AT Systems (80%)
- Conduct assistive technology assessments to assist individuals with disabilities and their case manager in making informed decisions regarding assistive technology use/applications. This includes work in the areas of workspace solutions, utilization of hardware and software computer access solutions, ergonomics, work and home site modifications, seating and positioning, and efforts in the areas of learning and sensory disability.
- Implement accommodations resulting from assistive technology assessment recommendations.
- Follow state of Wisconsin Division of Vocational Rehabilitation AT guidelines for provision of effective statewide services through collaborative partnerships with Wisconsin’s long-term care system, including the Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs), Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) and managed care organizations.
- As appropriate, and if different from State of Wisconsin procedures, follow similar guidelines for other states in which consultation and service is provided.
- Communicate assessment results and implementation activities through staff communication, case notes and written reports.
- Complete all required case file management procedures within e-system utilized at SVRI and in an accurate, timely manner and format as advised by professional ethics and standards.
- Maintain understanding of current research and evidence-based and promising practices as well as practices and legal mandates as they relate to assistive technology products and delivery of services.
- Provide education and training on evidence-based practices for assistive technology products and service delivery to consumers and professionals.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to increase AT referrals and services.
- This role requires frequent local and regional travel, including some overnights and special projects as assigned.
Marginal functions (15%)
- Collaborate with the UW-Stout FabLab staff as needed regarding shared utilization of services and supplies.
- Participate in state, regional, and national activities/associations relating to AT, present at conferences, seminars, webinars, trainings, and other opportunities.
- Maintain professional credentials, including certification(s).
- Engage in professional development and related activities to ensure SVRI services are consistent with contemporary practices and market needs.
Other functions: (5%)
- Align behavior with SVRI core values of professionalism, authenticity, inclusion, and innovation.
- Promote a culture of respect and civility.
- Model civil communication and interaction
- Support a culture of collegiality and citizenship.
- Model professional standards of behavior with students, colleagues, and consumers.
- Serve on SVRI, College and University committees and tasks as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Stout Vocational Rehabilitation Institute (SVRI) serves as a leader to advance innovative programs and practice in disability and employment through partnerships in research, training, education, and services. It strives to be the premier resource for state-of-the-art knowledge, innovation, and services to positively impact people's health, employment, and economic stability.
SVRI is located at the University of Wisconsin–Stout in Menomonie and provides solutions to positively impact the future of persons with disabilities and others in the community through services, training, and research.
SVRI has been providing services for over 50 years.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 49 undergraduate and 22 graduate degrees, including three terminal degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students. The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks. Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.1279.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information (telephone number and email address) for a minimum of three (3) professional references
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by *July 31, 2021. Will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Kyle Schemenauer
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Beth Biederman
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change in Fall 2021. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/
Job Family: Staff