The University of Wisconsin-Stout is seeking an individual passionate about college student success and career readiness as a Career Counselor. In this position, you will directly support UW-Stout’s polytechnic career focused mission by providing career appointments that support students and alumni career development, delivering career education programming aimed at Career Readiness and engaging in career development activities that support university and office initiatives. You will serve as a liaison to colleges, schools, faculty, and offices within the university structure as part of the Career Education team and strive to create a welcoming, equitable and inclusive work environment.
- Provide Career Counseling services to students, graduates, and alumni individually or group sessions on career topics.
- Provide student-centered career services supporting career development programming, career readiness and experiential education for students, faculty, alumni, and employers.
- Conduct classroom and student organization presentations on job search topics including resume and cover letter writing, finding a Co-op/internship, job search strategies, interview skill development, and offer/negotiations.
- Utilize computer network systems to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Career Services.
Career & Professional Development Programming
- Plan, deliver and overall execute career and professional development programs for students and alumni annually as part of the Career Education team
- Implement programming that incorporates NACE Career-Readiness skill building, best-practices, improves retention, increases career awareness and outcomes.
- Work collaboratively with Career Services staff, including the Employer Relations and Cooperative Education & Internship Program teams, faculty, program directors and campus offices.
- Incorporate student learning outcomes that support career services, university and strategic planning goals.
Applied & Experiential Learning
- Provide support to students in cultivating applied & experiential learning activities, including co-operative education and field experience academic options, specific to career or interest area.
- Assist Career Services to serve as a point of contact for student inquiries related to applied & experiential learning activities.
- Assist in the development of communication and marketing materials to increase engagement of applied and experiential learning programs for all students.
About the Job
This position is a Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (year-round position). Limited remote work/telecommuting may be possible (max up to 2 days per week) after completion of a significant training period, successful on-the-job performance, departmental needs assessment and approval.
Official UW Title – Career Development Coordinator
- Minimum / Required
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1+ yrs. relevant full time work experience involving career and professional development in Career Services/Student Services at the college/university/k-12 levels, or in human resource, recruitment, professional services fields OR equivalent education/training
- Master's degree
- Demonstrated ability to provide career counseling, including resume development, interviewing techniques, and job search strategies
- Demonstrated ability to deliver effective presentations to groups of all sizes, and to provide information with clarity
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate and execute programs and events
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, and ability to integrate core concepts into professional work environment
- Ability to navigate and utilize internet-based job search tools
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, build and sustain long-lasting relationships
- Familiarity with recruitment practices of businesses, corporations, and agencies that offer co-op/internship and career opportunities to students
- Experience with recruitment software, such as Handshake or similar vendor
- Possess computer skills and proficiency working with Microsoft office or google suite software
- Ability to contribute as an enthusiastic member of a fast-paced and team orientated career service staff
- Able to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team setting
- Possess verbal and written communication skills
UW-Stout’s Career Services Office’s mission is to educate, engage and empower students and alumni in navigating career and professional development through employer and faculty/staff partnerships.
Our vision is to continue to be a leader in:
- Providing centralized career resources, programs, services, and technologies
- Integrating applied and experiential learning
- Providing data to support informed career decisions
- Remaining adaptive and flexible in changing career needs for all stakeholders
- Building and nurturing strategic relationships to enhance opportunities for students
- Ultimately ensuring students successful transition from college to career
We value: Inclusion and diversity, collaborative partnerships, technology, professional and ethical practices, applied learning, and customer service
UW-Stout’s Career Services Department is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
Applications received by end of day November 27, 2022 are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after 11/27th may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (* See below)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Bryan Barts
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Nora Winkler
For information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Minimum starting salary of $45,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check, reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
Job Family: Staff