JOB TITLE: Custodian – 2nd Shift
DEPARTMENT: Academic Custodial Services
APPOINTMENT PERCENTAGE (FTE): 100%
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 7/2/2018
The position is responsible for performing custodial duties, minor maintenance and other miscellaneous duties in order to ensure that buildings and facilities are maintained in a healthy, safe and sanitary manner. This position reports to a Custodial Services Supervisor and will work under the guidance of a Custodian Lead.
This position will work 40 hours a week, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Normal working shift is Monday to Friday, 3:30 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. Some hours and days of work are flexible to meet the operational needs Facilities Management.
80% A. Maintain Clean, Sanitary Conditions in Assigned Building Areas.
- Clean, sanitizes and stocks restrooms.
- Clean and apply sanitizer if applicable to shower/locker room area.
- Vacuum all carpeted areas as scheduled in building.
- Pick-up and dispose of trash daily.
- Clean drinking fountains.
- Dust and/or damp mop all non-carpeted areas.
- Sweep and/or damp mop stairs and landings.
- Sweep and /or dust mop bleachers.
- Clean elevator cab, doors and door tracks.
- Arrange classrooms/labs, clean all floors, seating, tables, podiums, writing boards and trays.
- Dust all surfaces.
- Clean all interior glass.
- Replace light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and clean fixtures.
- Sweep exterior entrance areas, clean inside and outside entrance doors and glass.
- Perform minor moves within assigned area.
- Clean all hardware such as doorknobs, valves, switches and outlet plates, vents, hand rails, ceiling tracks, etc.
- Clean all misc. items such as baseboards, walls, door jambs, kick plates, etc.
- Inspect assigned area for any needed maintenance or repair, fill out maintenance request and submit to supervisor, lead worker or building maintenance staff.
- Renovate entire assigned area during major cleaning periods
- Clean custodial closet and re-stock supplies for next work shift
- Unlock and lock exterior entrances and interior classroom doors due to class scheduling needs.
- Must read and comply with all policies, procedures, safety and health regulations as stated in the “Classified Handbook” and the “Employee Right to Know” booklet.
- Perform all duties per the satisfaction of the Department of Commerce.
- Assist other department/employees as required.
15% B. Operates and Maintains Departmentally Owned Equipment.
- It is necessary to be familiar with the proper operating procedures and to operate in a safe manner all cleaning equipment, two-wheel hand trucks and all manual operated items such as: brooms, mops, squeegees, etc.
- Clean all equipment after each use.
- Conduct general inspections of equipment and report any needed repairs to supervisor or lead worker.
- Perform minor maintenance of all equipment such as changing belts, brushes, checking water levels in batteries, charging batteries, etc.
- Assist with evaluation of equipment to be purchased for the department as needed.
5% C. Remove Snow/Ice/Sand from Building Entrances.
- Shovel snow, remove ice or sweep sand from all building entrances (dependent on the season)
- Clear the loading dock, trash and dumpster areas of snow, ice and sand as necessary.
- Knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, tools, products, and equipment used in providing custodial services
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals consistent with the duties of this position.
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness and resourcefulness.
- Work independently and as part of a team environment and on collaborative efforts.
- (1) year previous experience in custodial, housekeeping, or maintenance role
- Valid driver’s license
- The employee must past the employer provided essential job function test.
- Successful completion of a background check is required.
Academic Custodial Services department completes daily tasks for customers located on roughly 1.47 million square feet of floor space across campus. These tasks can include: opening and closing of buildings and classrooms, cleaning of restrooms, showers, classrooms, laboratories, offices, public areas and gymnasiums.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All students are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/community.cfm.
Facts and data about the university: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/facts.cfm.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stoop, reach, stand, walk, lift, pull, push, grasp, talk, hear, see, climb a ladder a minimum of 6 feet, and use repetitive motions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may need to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds of materials individually and heavier weights as part of a team move. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff. The employee must past the employer provided essential job function test.
Working Conditions and Environment
The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, potentially hazardous chemicals and solvents, inclement weather conditions; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Primary work will be conducted indoors, ooccasional exposure to changes in temperature in conjunction with seasonal needs of the facilities/grounds and set up of events.
The minimum starting salary is $13.00 per hour. The hourly rate for this position is negotiable based on experience and available budget. A six-month probation is required. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State Retirement Plan. Benefit details can be found at: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/Univ-staff.pdf.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, employment will be contingent upon a criminal background check and authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit:
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
Screening of applications will begin 5/21/2018 and may continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, complete applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on 5/20/2018.
Your online application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached, and all required fields are completed. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Please be sure you have included the following documents:
- Current resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three professional work references
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our online application system are available via:
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
For job specific questions, please contact:
Job Family: Staff