Custodian - Academic Buildings - Continuous Recruitment
CUSTODIAN – ACADEMIC BUILDINGS
A variety of permanent custodial positions are/may be available in our Facilities Management Department. Minimum starting salary is $15.00/hour.
Typical shifts are:
1st Shift: 5:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
2nd Shift: 2:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Mid-Shift 12:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (may be able to adjust)
Depending on the shift, night and weekend differential may apply to a position.
ABOUT THE JOB: CUSTODIAN
The mission of the UW Stout Academic Custodial Team is to provide an exceptional experience for students, staff and visitors through the delivery of cleaning services and upkeep of the campus buildings. Work is performed in accordance with best practices and Custodial Services Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) or Work Instructions (WI). This position reports directly to the Custodial Supervisor and receives feedback from Custodial Leads and Custodial Supervisor.
Core Job Accountabilities
- Effectively perform and meet cleaning and maintenance expectations in assigned areas as defined by the Stout Cleaning Standards and operational requirements
- Proper upkeep of all equipment to maintain them in a clean and working order
- Custodial spaces kept in an organized condition, with appropriate product stock
- Work collaboratively and responsively with campus customers, team members and supervisors
- Have a commitment to safety and quality by ensuring all activities performed on campus are done in accordance with Campus policies, safety practices, including the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)s, and Work Instructions (WI)s
- Other duties as assigned
- Willingness to learn and become knowledgeable in the proper use of cleaning products, their intended application, and adherence to applicable safety rules related to each product
- Willingness to learn and become an expert in the use and care of all required Custodial related equipment
- Adherence to UW System, campus and departmental work rules
- Basic computer skills to complete on-line forms, access communications and information, and review and respond to emails (Outlook)
- Ability to effectively communicate using a cellular phone
- Willingness to receive and provide feedback in a positive, constructive, and collaborative manor
- Previous industry cleaning experience in a structured custodial operation
- Experience in a team cleaning environment using custodial equipment
- Advanced knowledge of floor care practices, both carpet and hard floors
- Advanced knowledge troubleshooting and repairing equipment
- Walking (flat and uneven surfaces), standing, stooping, reaching, grasping, pushing, pulling, squeezing (spray bottle)
- Visual acuity to see close enough to read procedures and far enough to see areas that need to be cleaned (cobwebs near ceiling in your home)
- Climb ladder to reach 10’ ceiling to clean and/or change bulbs
- Lifting/moving up to 50lbs. individually and greater amounts in a team
- Ability to kneel and stand back up to change parts and clean custodial equipment
- Working outside as needed during all seasons in Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens in an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive community that fosters a rich,¿dynamic,¿and collaborative environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being¿Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.¿
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees, including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students.
UW-Stout is committed to investing in and ensuring access to equitable, diverse, and inclusive learning, student living, and work environments that reflect our regional and global connections.
The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
The minimum hourly rate for this position is $15.00/hour. A six-month probationary period is required. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/univstaff21.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing an essential job function test and reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (2) professional references
This is a continual recruitment pool. As positions become available, applications will be screened.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
For job specific questions, please contact:
Bradley M. Kupczak
Job Family: Staff