JOB TITLE: Custodian
DEPARTMENT: University Housing Custodial Services
APPOINTMENT PERCENTAGE (FTE): 100%
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 7/16/18
The position is responsible for performing custodial duties, minor maintenance and other miscellaneous duties in order to ensure that buildings and facilities are maintained in a healthy, safe and sanitary manner. This position reports to a Custodial Services Supervisor and will work under the guidance of a Custodian Lead.
This position will work 40 hours a week, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Normal working shift is Monday to Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Some hours and days of work are flexible to meet the operational needs of the University Housing.
A. Routine Daily Maintenance of Student Life Services Buildings.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms to the Physical Plant Custodial Unit standard at all times
- Clean offices, hallways, stairwells, lounges, laundry, kitchens, drinking fountains, meeting rooms and reset as needed.
- Dust mop, wet mop or vacuum and spot clean all floors.
- Dust and rearrange all furniture and fixtures.
- Sweep and wet mop all stairs and wash stairwell walls as needed.
- Clean suites as needed, including sanitizing restroom, shower and vanity areas, kitchen and living areas.
- Clean all body fluids/blood-borne pathogens spills.
- Maintain elevators and all public spaces.
- Empty wastebaskets and remove trash from buildings.
- Replenish supplies as necessary.
- Wet mop or machine scrub floors.
- Clean and sweep entryways and walk off mats.
B. Performance of Related Duties.
- Responsible for proper use of equipment and chemicals.
- Provides a safe and healthy environment by following all safety rules.
- Assists other custodians in need of help in their respective buildings.
- Assist supervisor in establishing cleaning standards and cleaning procedures.
- Make inspections of all building equipment condition and report findings to supervisor.
- Meet and confer with the supervisor on a regular basis.
- Be responsible for energy conservation and building security in all facilities.
- Assist in promoting a service and recycling oriented attitude to be implemented by all staff.
- Enforce safety and work rules with student crew members.
C. Team Participation
- Function as member of team in special projects.
- Function as a team member in problem solving for custodial and other areas.
- Assist other department/employees as required.
D. Primary Trainer of Student Custodians.
- Train student custodians in room cleaning techniques, general sanitation of room furniture, fixtures, equipment and general sanitation of restroom surfaces and fixtures
- Train all student custodians on paperwork requirements associated with their respective positions
E. Perform all Related Duties as Assigned.
- Keep all sidewalks, ramp entrances and dumpster areas to the residence halls free and clean of ice and snow.
- Direct and assist in major cleaning projects during break times.
- Perform other related duties of a similar kind and level as assigned.
- Ensure adequate custodial equipment is available in work areas
- Assist with making repairs on all custodial equipment
- Knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, tools, products, and equipment used in providing custodial services
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals consistent with the duties of this position
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness and resourcefulness
- Work independently and as part of a team environment and on collaborative efforts
- (1) year of experience in custodial, maintenance or customer service related field
- Valid driver’s license
- Special Requirements
- The employee must past the employer provided essential job function test
- Successful completion of a background check is required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stoop, reach, stand, walk, lift, pull, push, grasp, talk, hear, see, climb a ladder a minimum of 6’, and use repetitive motions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may need to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds of materials individually and heavier weights as part of a team move. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public, students, faculty and staff. The employee must past the employer provided essential job function test.
Working Conditions and Environment
The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, potentially hazardous chemicals and solvents, inclement weather conditions; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Primary work will be conducted indoors, occasional exposure to changes in temperature in conjunction with seasonal needs of the facilities/grounds and set up of events.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All students are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/community.cfm.
Facts and data about the university: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/facts.cfm.
The minimum starting salary is $13.00 per hour. The hourly rate for this position is negotiable based on experience and available budget. A six-month probation is required. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State Retirement Plan. Benefit details can be found at: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/Univ-staff.pdf.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, employment will be contingent upon a criminal background check and authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit:
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
Screening of applications will begin 6/19/2018 and may continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, complete applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on June 18th.
Your online application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached, and all required fields are completed. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Please be sure you have included the following documents:
- Current resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three professional work references
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our online application system are available via:
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
For job specific questions, please contact Justin Fults at email@example.com or 715-232-2497.
Job Family: Staff