This position reports to the Business Manager in the University Advancement Department and is responsible for information acquisition, analysis, reporting, and data integrity for the alumni/donor database. This includes serving as the administrator for the alumni/donor database, training and supporting others in automating business communication, providing statistical reporting for management, and coordinating imports and exports of information within the Unit and also to other University departments. This position holds primary responsibility for database content integrity and data reporting accuracy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Database Management, Processing, Training and Support: 50%
- Manage the administration of organizational databases, developing long-term strategies for data storage and access.
- Establish policies and procedures to provide consistency and accuracy in data.
- Design, maintain, and implement database fields, lookup tables, and attributes.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software.
- Obtain information from numerous sources and update database records accordingly.
- Liaison with data enrichment vendors to improve data accuracy including data appends with ResearchPoint and LexisNexis AlumniFinder.
- Hire, train and supervise staff with database responsibilities.
- Run quarterly NCOA updates through Raiser’s Edge.
- Provide Raiser’s Edge support and training as needed.
- Identify data concerns affecting the integrity and accuracy of the database and implement solutions.
- Identify opportunities to perform data normalization and remove redundant and/or inaccurate information in Raiser’s Edge and NetCommunity.
- Design processes and file layouts to facilitate batch data imports into Raiser’s Edge and CampusCall including methods of exporting data from campus’ student records database by developing custom-designed templates and Bio queries.
- Assess end user information system needs, develop and implement solutions.
- Design and fulfill query requests (constituent and alumni lists), following office procedures and guidelines. Maintain appropriate files of completed query request forms.
- Provide expertise and technical support to end-users on Raiser’s Edge, NetCommunity, and ResearchPoint issues; identify, research, and resolve problems, work with outside vendors/technical support as needed, track and monitor problems to ensure timely resolution.
- Provide analysis of data related processes, improve and refine those processes, and document those processes.
- Design and develop pages for data collection, including alumni contact and demographics information, surveys, and media.
- Develop processes to migrate information between software systems and platforms. This includes capturing and integrating student data from including, but not limited to, registration and records, student participation information from campus activities center and alumni demographics and appeal updates from phonathon (CampusCall) into the database. This also includes preparing data templates and exporting data from the database into other systems including CampusCall and into formats required by companion vendors (Stelter, PCI Alumni Directory, etc.).
- IT Project Management: 25%
- Prepare spreadsheets, reports, and charts to support organizational needs.
- Identify needs and design business solutions to support data mining and statistical analysis to support unit leadership.
- Work closely and proactively with users, making recommendations and assist in the design and analysis of reports and data. Respond effectively to report requests, communicating needs, timeframes, scope and limitations on projects.
- Develop Microsoft Office macros and templates to provide easier completion of common, well-defined tasks.
- Complete many projects simultaneously which necessitates that a large and complex amount of information be assimilated with consistent attention to detail.
- Develop sets of communication flows for accepting information from constituents, incorporating that information into the most appropriate data sets, and providing systems of acknowledgement back to the constituents.
- Develop processes and procedures for integrating data into University Advancement web pages.
- Research, design, and develop web pages to support data reporting functions as needed.
- Prospect Research: 15%
- Conduct research on individuals, corporations, and foundations. Prepare confidential biographical profiles for members of the development staff.
- Analyze available data to identify trends and opportunities, generate reports and graphics, and provide tactics which help gift officers select and prioritize prospective donors for contact.
- Develop heat-maps to show proximity of donors within regions of travel to help gift officers locate and select best prospects and to assist in route and travel planning.
- Systems Administration: 5%
- Provide primary administration for security and user roles in software systems utilized by University Advancement, including Raiser’s Edge, NetCommunity, ResearchPoint, SharePoint, etc.
- Administer the structures of the SharePoint subsite for the Foundation
- Develop a system for migrating documents, spreadsheets, and design files from network drives into SharePoint libraries.
- Other Duties and Responsibilities: 5%
- Provide general support and assistance with information technology questions and trouble-shooting within the office environment. Provide in-house hardware and software support for University Advancement.
- Interact with associates in a professional manner and help promote a team atmosphere.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum / Required
- Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in database management
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a team member
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to coordinate and handle multiple priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Three years’ work experience in database management, preferably within non-profit organization environment
- Raiser’s Edge experience or similar Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system
- Highly proficient in MS Excel and database software and knowledge of principles of database management and business processes
- Strong analytic skills and a customer-service attitude
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent judgment including sensitivity to personal and confidential information
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/community.cfm. Facts and data about the university: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/facts.cfm.
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, employment will be contingent upon a criminal background check and authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/police/clery.cfm
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
- Unofficial copies of transcripts; official transcripts required at time of hire
To ensure consideration, complete applications must be submitted online by 4/17/2018. Screening of applications will begin 4/18 and may continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at:
Job Family: Staff