Dean for College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Management (CSTEMM)
The University of Wisconsin-Stout (UW-Stout) is seeking applications for Dean of the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Management (CSTEMM). CSTEMM serves more than half of all UW-Stout students and works as a critical cross-disciplinary partner to meet the dynamic and emerging needs of our graduates and robust partnership network.
As Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, UW-Stout's unique mission prioritizes three educational tenets: applied learning, career focus and collaboration. These tenets are formalized via a variety of intentional mechanisms including a 100% experiential learning requirement across all programs; active program advisory committees comprised of employers, alumni and UW-Stout faculty and staff that meet regularly to review curriculum and to foster continuous improvement of all academic programs; a record of hiring faculty and staff with both academic credentials and in-field/professional experiences; and a commitment to general education the Stout Core as critical to student success. One measure of success that supports our mission is UW-Stout's student career outcomes. UW-Stout's 98.4% graduate placement rate (students employed within six months or continuing education) remains unsurpassed within the University of Wisconsin System.
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research, and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders, and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
The position joins a dynamic and collaborative leadership team within academic affairs, working in support of the university’s FOCUS2030 strategic plan. The university’s goals encompass five fundamental pillars: Student Success; Employee Success; Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity; Institutional Sustainability; and Identity. UW-Stout is seeking candidates who will prioritize these pillars and serve as a change agent during this dynamic time in higher education.
UW-Stout offers 45 undergraduate, 20 masters, and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national, and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
The College of (CSTEMM) expands the reach of science, technology, engineering and mathematics to include cross-disciplinary partnerships in the areas of leadership and management. The result is a robust college network that includes eight academic departments, three schools - the Robert F. Cervenka School of Engineering, the School of Management and the School of Hospitality Leadership—two centers, and the Army ROTC program. CSTEMM is comprised of several nationally recognized programs, four distinguished professorships, and offers online, hybrid and in-person offerings, at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Offerings also include certificates and specializations available to working adults, and pre-professional offerings in the Health Sciences areas.
The CSTEMM Mission
Educating students to be life-long learners through an innovative approach to learning that combines theory, practice, and experimentation in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and management.
The CSTEMM Values
- Quality teaching which actively engages students in learning. We use best practices to innovatively teach a curriculum which is career focused and meets present global demands.
- Applied and original research and scholarship by faculty, staff and students. This promotes continuous learning, professional development, and collaborations in the Stout community and with outside partners.
- Active participation in the university, local and global communities through service and citizenship.
- High standards of ethical behavior, integrity and trust in an inclusive and respectful environment.
- A supportive, positive and engaging workplace for faculty, staff and students.
- Inspiring present and future generations of innovators, teachers and enlightened citizens.
CSTEMM includes specialized laboratories across five buildings, and approximately 150 faculty and staff and 4,400 students.
As a direct report to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the position is responsible for the general oversight, strategic vision, operational and active leadership of the departments, schools and centers that comprise CSTEMM. UW-Stout has recently embarked on an inaugural five-year comprehensive academic plan and the dean will leverage that work to further ensure the success of CSTEMM. This is a full-time, annual, Limited appointment. Applicants may be considered for a concurrent tenure appointment per UWS Administrative Policy 1250. The projected start date is July 1, 2023.
The Dean is the chief academic and administrative leader for the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Management (CSTEMM) and is responsible for fiscal and personnel management, strategic planning, fundraising, partnership-building, and promoting equity, diversity and inclusivity. The Dean works with faculty, staff, campus-wide units and the university community to achieve the university’s mission and vision, to model the university's values, and to build and sustain strong collaborations.
The Dean will facilitate a college vision and strategic direction, leading the college in a unified plan of action and one that promotes positive interactions across university units to support UW-Stout's polytechnic mission and commitment to accessible and applied education. The Dean supports, encourages, and promotes excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service. The Dean is responsible for program development, year-round strategic enrollment management, faculty and staff recruitment and retention, fiscal management, and for prioritizing student success. The Dean also serves as the College’s building supervisor of academic buildings, including classroom and laboratory spaces.
As a spokesperson for the College, the Dean provides leadership for fundraising and development efforts in collaboration with the Stout University Foundation, industry outreach in collaboration with the Discovery Center, and maintains extensive contacts with accrediting bodies, alumni, regional employers and businesses, educational partnerships (K-20), and the community at-large. The Dean works efficiently and effectively, striving for improvement, innovation and excellence in all aspects of the College, across all campus units, while following university and UW System policies, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Work with faculty, staff, students and university administration to develop a vision for the College that will lead to increased student retention and enrollment, through the cultivation of existing programs and development of new program offerings
- Support the University’s commitment to addressing issues pertaining to diversity, equity, and inclusion to foster a culture where members of the college community, including faculty, staff, and students are active partners in creating an open, inclusive, and equitable learning environment
- Develop and implement strategies to hire and retain high-quality and diverse faculty and staff
- Foster collaborative, cross-disciplinary partnerships with shared governance and across all campus units
- Develop, promote, and implement year-round strategic enrollment management initiatives in collaboration with the Enrollment and Strategic Initiatives unit
- Manage college budgets responsibly to maximize student learning and faculty/staff professional development
- Evaluate faculty and staff, in coordination with the department chairs, to facilitate continued professional growth and development
- Foster and expand partnerships through outreach and engagement with educational institutions (K-20), business, and the community, in coordination with the University Partnership Council
- Work with the Stout University Foundation and other campus leaders to increase cultivation and stewardship, and raise funds, both public and private, for the College and University
- Support the missions of and advocate for all units in the College
- Implement the University’s mission, vision, values and FOCUS2030 goals in the context of the College
- Earned terminal academic degree in one of the disciplines represented by the College
- Strong record of teaching, research, scholarship, publication and professional experience warranting an appointment as a tenured professor
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusivity
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development of faculty and staff
- Excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills
- Minimum of five (5) years of higher education administrative leadership experience
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges and opportunities of a rapidly changing higher education environment at the local, state, national, and international levels
- Demonstrated experience with program, discipline-specific accreditations
- Demonstrated experience with establishing and sustaining partnerships between business/industry and educational institutions
- Demonstrated skills in creative and entrepreneurial problem-solving
- Successful experience in fundraising; examples may include grants and philanthropy, public relations, working with advisory committees/community boards, or communications to external stakeholders
- Demonstrated alignment with the FOCUS2030 goals, mission, and values of UW-Stout
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts are required at the time of hire.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by end of day Friday, January 6, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter*
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
- Inclusivity Statement: Equity, diversity and inclusion are important to the mission of UW-Stout. Please submit a one-page or less statement demonstrating your past/ present work, volunteer, and lived experience and how you envision carrying that experience into your work at UW-Stout.
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement. Please also address the extent to which you meet the stated Preferred Qualifications.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Maria Alm, firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Pierson, email@example.com
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Dawn Skovbroten
Job Family: Supervisory
Job Reference #: 19116