Director, Client Technology Services
Director, Client Technology Services
The Director of Client Technology Services reports directly to the Assistant Chancellor for Learning and Information Technology/Chief Information Officer (CIO). This position is an experienced IT leader who coordinates a wide range of technology support to faculty, staff and students, providing technological oversight and general supervision of employees within the Client Technology Services unit.
The Director of Client Technology Services coordinates services including IT help desk, PC repair, computer labs and the student laptop program (eStout). The ideal candidate must be an innovative and dynamic individual with demonstrated hands-on IT skills, supervisory experience, and outstanding leadership skills. The position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a commitment to working in a team environment.
UW-Stout is Wisconsin's Polytechnic institution. As such, we pride ourselves on innovation and service to our students, staff, and faculty. UW-Stout has offered the eStout laptop program for 20 years. We value strong leadership and a spirit of collaboration and customer service in working with this program.
This is an on-campus position.
Anticipated start date in May 2024.
ABOUT THE JOB: IT Director II (B) / Job Code IT123
Minimum / Required
- Associate degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience with management and supervision.
- Experience troubleshooting client technology issues.
- Broad knowledge of endpoint technologies.
- Excellent customer service skills when working with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Bachelors degree by the start of employment.
- K12 or higher-ed experience.
- Service Management experience e.g., ITIL.
- Experience managing or serving as a senior member of an Information Technology help/service desk.
- Experience with performance management, and leadership techniques.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with people of varying levels of technical skills.
- Experience developing, delivering, and updating user documentation and training materials.
- Ability to use metrics to provide realistic resource requirements and create measurable objectives.
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing technology environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple requests for services from a broad constituent base.
- Experience with vendor relationships, procurement, and asset management.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Directly supervise the Client Technology Services team including staff and student employees.
- Oversee all activities of Client Technology Services (CTS) team including the IT help desk and support for hardware and software for personal computer systems, printers, network distribution, and specialized electronic services.
- Recommend hiring, suspension, lay-off, recall, promotion, evaluation, assignment, and discipline of employees.
- Prioritize multiple requests for services from a broad constituent base including help requests, projects, outages, incidents, etc.
- Manage and coordinate the campus student laptop program (eStout.)
- Partner with third party vendors in support of the student laptop program.
- Organize student laptop deploys, exchanges, returns, and coordinate with campus stakeholders to create a positive student experience.
- Collaborate with academic stakeholders to ensure student devices meet the needs of UW-Stout students in their respective academic programs.
- Lead and participate in project management efforts.
- Serve as primary subject matter expert (SME) on ITSM platform, its utilization in support of ITIL service management in LIT, and in change management and continuous improvement.
- Foster collaboration between IT Consultants and clients.
- Foster a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment.
- Provide strategic leadership, vision, management, and accountability for selection and deployment of institutional technology systems and hardware.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and keep the university as close to state-of-the-art as feasible.
- Serve on campus, region and state committees as needed.
- Attend meetings representing Learning and Information Technology (LIT).
- Assist the CIO and other IT leaders with development and implementation of procedures and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CIO.
Client Technology Services (CTS) serves as the primary contact point for Learning and Information Technology (LIT) services, providing both online and in-person technical support and consultation. CTS is committed to connecting students, staff, and faculty with the resources, tools, and guidance essential for fulfilling their technological needs. CTS also oversees the eStout Laptop Program, which equips students with the necessary hardware, software, and support services to ensure our digital environment aligns with their academic success. CTS also takes pride in hosting the Student Technological Assistance and Resources (STAR) team: this independently managed student group plays a vital role in sustaining campus and eStout technology by providing an expansive range of invaluable support services.
Complete applications received by end of day, March 3, 2024 are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after this time may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
- To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (* See below)
- Names and contact information (phone numbers and email) of a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Seth Comstock
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Gretchen Metzler
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate's completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts are required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Supervisory