Director, Infrastructure Services
DEPARTMENT: Learning and Information Technology (LIT)
ANTICIPATED START DATE: May 3, 2021
This vacancy is for The Director of Infrastructure Services at UW-Stout in Menomonie, WI. The position manages the enterprise hardware and software systems in use by the campus. These include but are not limited to the physical and virtual servers, storage hardware, backup, the campus network infrastructure, email, document storage, identity and authentication, deployment, and voice communications.
UW-Stout is unable to provide green card or H1B sponsorship for this position. The position we are currently seeking requires successful applicants to be responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
Minimum / Required
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Networking, Information Technology, or a related field of study; or 5 years of experience working with an enterprise server infrastructure or networking team
- Working knowledge and experience of enterprise infrastructure including data centers, server and network infrastructure, and communication platforms
- Effective leadership skills including the ability to motivate others in a team environment
- Knowledge of effective management, supervisory, problem solving, and leadership techniques required to supervise professional staff
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of project management such as estimation, change control, and project plan development and implementation
- Effective verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively articulate and communicate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes across all levels in the organization
- Knowledge of information security, principles, and practices
- 5 years of experience managing an enterprise server infrastructure or networking team
- 3 years of experience administering complex enterprise server infrastructure or networking system
- Working knowledge and experience with Office365 and Azure services
- Experience developing and managing a budget
- Demonstrated compliance experience, e.g FERPA, GLBA, HIPAA, etc.
- Experience in higher education
- Technical knowledge of network services including voice, data and video
- Technical knowledge of identity and access management
- Technical knowledge of endpoint and software management
The unit and the associated operations that fall within the purview of the Director include but are not limited to:
- Network Services – direct the planning, implementation, management, and maintenance for the campus inter and intra network serving voice, data, and video service deliveries.
- Identity and Access Management – direct the implementation, development, and policies related to identity and access management.
- Enterprise Server Infrastructure – direct the planning, implementation, management, and maintenance of hardware and software for the campus and remote datacenter.
- Office 365 and Azure– direct the planning, implementation, management, and maintenance of our Office 365 environment and our shift from an on-premises datacenter to Azure hosted.
- Endpoint and software management – direct the management of endpoints including security and antivirus policies, operating systems, software recommendations, licensing, and distribution.
- Assist the CIO and other directors with development and implementation of procedures and policies to comply with regulations, institutional policies, and divisional objectives.
- Work with the CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) to implement security recommendations into the network, server and identity and access management systems.
- Participate in the development and administration of strategic and operational projects and plans for the Infrastructure Services unit as well as the Learning and Information Technology Department.
- Directly manage and supervise the Infrastructure Services staff.
- Recommend hiring, suspension, lay-off, recall, promotion, evaluation, assignment, and discipline of employees within the Infrastructure Services.
- Plan and recommend acquisition of hardware, software, and services. Consult with the other administrators to identify the infrastructure needs of the institution and to provide information and analysis upon request.
- Serve as a resource in matters of infrastructure systems for administrators, faculty, and staff.
- Serve as liaison with infrastructure professionals, especially those employed by the UW-System.
- Attend meetings representing Infrastructure Services and serve on campus and system committees as required by the CIO.
- Research and analyze emerging technologies for possible strategic implementation into campus systems.
LIT (Learning and Information Technologies) is UW-Stout's steward of technology in support of education. We are committed to providing and maintaining secure, high-quality, reliable, and flexible solutions in alignment with UW-Stout's mission and vision.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich,¿dynamic,¿and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being¿Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.¿
UW-Stout offers 49 undergraduate and 22 graduate degrees, including three terminal degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students. The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the qualifications
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by March 21, 2021. Screening of applications may continue until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Heidi Catlin
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Gretchen Metzler
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks. Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.1279.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Supervisory