Director of Athletics Communications
UW-Stout is looking for a Director of Athletics Communications for the Athletics department. The Director of Athletics Communications oversees communications for all 19 Blue Devil teams. Primary responsibilities include media relations and strategic media partnerships, game statistics and results, content for stoutbluedevils.com and social media. Additionally, the Director of Athletics Communications must be committed to promoting the development of an equitable and inclusive environment. This is a full-time, annual year appointment.
Official UW Title: Communications Manager / CM003
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum two years’ experience in an athletic communications office
- Demonstrate familiarity with national trends and best practices related to equity, diversity, inclusivity
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Stat Crew, NCAA Live Stats, ScoreKeeper, and/or other related software
- Working familiarity with Adobe Creative Suites and Microsoft Suites
- Experience with social media platforms
- Manage all aspects of the athletics program official website (stoutbluedevils.com, a Sidearm site) and all social media sites, creating graphics and promotional materials, pitching and responding to media requests, writing game recaps, feature stories and profiles, updating record books and other historical documents.
- Work cooperatively with all 19 sports and department offices, regarding public relations efforts.
- Report all statistics and materials as required by the WIAC, NCGA and NCAA
- In cooperation with the University Marketing and Communications (MARCOM), produce additional content of an athletics nature for the University’s alumni publications and the University’s website.
- Coordinate all athletics photography and videography efforts, including action photos, individual photos, and team photos, as well as athlete of the week and highlight videos.
- Manage operational, fiscal, and administrative responsibilities in the athletics communications area.
- Oversee a comprehensive student staff as well as coordinate full-time athletics staff (generally, assistant coaches) whose percentage of duties include sports information.
- Serve as a member of Chancellor’s Intercollegiate Athletic Advisory Committee (CIAAC).
- Serve as a member of the athletics administrative leadership team.
- Identify and research candidates for the UW-Stout Athletics Hall of Fame, serving as a member of the selection committee.
- Additional administrative responsibilities may be assigned by the Athletic Director and Deputy Athletic Director.
UW-Stout Athletics is a NCAA Division III institution with 19 varsity sports committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens in an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive community that fosters a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees, including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students.
UW-Stout is committed to investing in and ensuring access to equitable, diverse, and inclusive learning, student living, and work environments that reflect our regional and global connections.
The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Minimum salary of $47,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (* See below)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Include a statement (4-6 sentences) regarding how you would foster a climate of equity, diversity and inclusion in this position. Please also use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Erin Sullivan
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Melissa Rappley
Job Family: Staff