Director, University Library
The University of Wisconsin-Stout (UW-Stout) is seeking a Director with an entrepreneurial spirit and excellent communication skills, to lead Wisconsin's Polytechnic University Library. The Director provides strategic leadership for all functions of the University Library, including the University Archives and Instructional Resource Services. UW-Stout is seeking a director who will embrace the challenge and opportunities of continuous digital change and increase creative partnership activities in support of our polytechnic mission, while providing rich information resources for the entire University community.
As Wisconsin's Polytechnic, UW-Stout's unique mission is guided by three educational tenets: applied learning, career focus and collaboration. The position joins a dynamic and collaborative leadership team across campus, working in support of the university's FOCUS2030 strategic plan. The university's goals encompass five fundamental pillars: Student Success; Employee Success; Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity; Institutional Sustainability; and Identity. UW-Stout is seeking candidates that will prioritize these pillars and serve as a change agent during this dynamic time in higher education.
The University Library at UW-Stout includes two important units that expand the range of services to the campus and community. The Instructional Resources Service, a campus textbook affordability program, provides 80,000 learning resources to students annually (80% of which are provided in digital format), leads the campus open educational resources effort, and operates the Effordability Summit, an annual regional conference that concentrates on the use, adoption, and creation of affordable and effective course materials. The University Archives/Area Research Center coordinates records management operations for the UW-Stout campus and collects and preserves locally created university records with enduring value. Stout's archivists provide robust, publicly accessible digital collections, interpretive instructional sessions, and reference assistance to support the applied research of faculty, staff, and student researchers from a broad range of academic disciplines. Stout's Area Research Center serves as a constituent collection of the Wisconsin Historical Society representing Barron, Dunn, and Pepin Counties, serving between 2,000-2,500 patrons annually.
The UW-Stout Library includes a unique array of resources to students including an extensive comics and graphic novels collection, and a robust video game and game design collection, and is home to the UW-Stout Gaming and Digital Innovation Lab, which contains historic and new game consoles and more. The Educational Materials Center (EMC) supports UW-Stout's teacher education programs by providing a broad array of learning resources typically used at the Pre-K-12 levels of instruction for study, evaluation, and implementation.
The Director serves as primary advocate and represents the library to the campus stakeholders, the Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries, and the local region. The Director serves all UW-Stout students, faculty, staff, and community, and works as a critical cross-disciplinary partner to meet the dynamic and emerging needs of our students and faculty, and will evolve to meet the community's dynamic information, research, and learning needs. The Director will work with university partners in providing open, inclusive, and affordable educational services and materials.
As a direct report to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Partner and Student Engagement, the Director of the University Library is responsible for the administration, leadership, management, planning, development, and implementation of all library policies, services, budgets, action plans and supervision of library personnel and work groups. The successful candidate works efficiently and effectively, and communicates clearly, striving for improvement, innovation, inclusivity, and excellence in all aspects of the University Library while following university and UW System policies, rules, regulations, and guidelines.
This is a full-time, annual appointment with a minimum annual starting salary of $96,000; commensurate with finalist's qualifications, experience and available budget. The projected start date is July 1, 2024.
- Advanced degree (i.e., master's degree or higher) in Library, Information Science, or related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience within an academic library
- Demonstrated experience in library leadership with administrative, supervisory, strategic planning, and budget responsibilities
- Effective oral, written, and electronic communication skills
- Experience with emerging trends and issues in academic libraries and instructional technologies, including Open Educational Resources, digital textbooks, media, and digital innovation related, or transferable, to the student experience inside and outside the classroom
- Demonstrated experience in planning, assessment, and evaluation in collaboration with faculty, staff, administration, and students
- Experience working with diverse populations
- A second advanced degree (i.e., master's degree or higher) relevant to the position
- Demonstrated commitment to the core value of inclusion
- Advanced training or coursework in, or more than three (3) years of experience with leadership and library staff supervision
- Documented experience in partnership and engagement with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of and experience in implementing innovative library technologies to serve the academic community in teaching, learning and research
- Demonstrated experience in adapting to changing demands and roles of academic libraries and librarians
- Experience in fundraising including grants and philanthropy, public relations, working with advisory committees/community boards, and communications to external stakeholders
- Oversee library operations plans, assessment, and coordination of priorities, services, resources, collections, goals, and policies in support of academic programs and the university's mission, vision and values.
- Oversee all aspects of library to ensure dynamic, efficient, cost-effective, high quality, and inclusive best practices are in place to meet the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Cultivate outreach and engagement opportunities to support creative and effective use of library services, collections, space management, and innovative technologies for teaching and learning.
- Work with the Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries consortium in developing and sustaining cooperative policies and programs.
- Exercise supervisory authority, including recruitment, hiring, evaluating, suspending, promoting, managing conduct and performance, and training staff to provide a cohesive, well-informed, collaborative, inclusive, and professional work environment.
- Develop, implement, and report on a system of service standards and metrics for the delivery of library, information services, resources, and textbook services, and prepare reports as requested.
- Keep abreast of emerging trends and issues in academic libraries by reading current literature, communicating with colleagues, and participating in professional meetings and workshops.
- Represent library interests on committees and events.
- Develop and manage complex budgets. Allocates resources with substantial discretion, balancing multiple priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Provost or Associate Vice Chancellor for Partner and Student Engagement.
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities, and historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all people and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout, we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate's completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security for all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by Sunday, January 14, 2024, end of day.
Applications submitted after that deadline may be reviewed until the position is filled.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter*
- Current curriculum vitae or resume
- Leadership statement describing your vision for leading a polytechnic university library
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience including specific examples to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement. Your cover letter should also include relevant information regarding your having any of the highly desired qualifications.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to provide reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Kate Kramschuster
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Dawn Pamperin
Job Family: Supervisory