University Dining seeks a creative, dynamic, and experienced Executive Chef to join our management team. The Executive Chef is the unit manager of the Merle Price Commons dining operations. This position is responsible for the production, presentation, and service in the Price Commons. This includes working with and directly supervising full time, limited term, and student employees, and oversight of the service manager and service staff. The Executive Chef assists with creating and developing recipes and menus and food production, while acting as a resource for plate presentation and service aspects within the Commons and North Point cafeterias. This position collaborates with University Dining management team for the planning, coordination, and evaluation of service and operations within University Dining Service.
- Associate degree or equivalent from an accredited Culinary Arts, Food Service Administration, Culinary Management, Hotel/Restaurant Management, Institutional/Hospitality Management, or related program.
- Three (3) years full time management experience in foodservice operations.
- Experience in a variety of foodservice operations (examples: cafeterias, catering, fast food, convenience services, food courts, concessions)
- Experience with menu management and Point of Sale software systems
- Experience managing food, labor, and supply budgets
- Experience in standardized recipe and menu development
- ServSafe certification or equivalent state certification
- Bachelor’s degree in Culinary related field
- Certified Executive Chef or similar certification
- Experience with institutional food sourcing and purchasing
- Three (3) years of full-time foodservice management experience in a University/College setting
- Plan and direct food production, service, and culinary activities for the Commons dining operations, including, residential dining, remote operations, programs, concessions, catering, camps, and warehouse operations.
- Supervise service manager, full time and limited term production staff, and student employees.
- Evaluate financial aspects of the operation, including food, labor, and supply costs.
- Utilize menu management and Point of Sale and other relevant software programs.
University Dining is a self-operated dining venture on campus with a $10 million operating budget. The department has three facilities that provide food services across campus, including Merle Price Commons Cafeteria, North Point Dining Cafeteria, retail offerings and a robust catering unit in the Memorial Student Center, express locations, convenience stores, and concessions operations. The department includes a dynamic management team and dedicated permanent staff and over 400 student employees.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 49 undergraduate and 22 graduate degrees, including three terminal degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students. The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region:https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community . Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Minimum starting salary of $66,078 negotiated at time of offer commensurate with candidate’s qualifications, experience and available budget. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.1279.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
Official transcripts required at time of hire; if applicable.
To ensure consideration, complete applications must be submitted online by Sunday, January 31, 2021, at 11:59PM. Screening of applications may continue until the position is filled.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Jim Selz
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Sarah Sippl
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
Job Family: Supervisory