Executive Director for Corporate Relations & Economic Engagement
The Executive Director reports to the Chancellor and is responsible for providing strategic direction to guide, lead, and grow UW-Stout's industry collaborations and economic development initiatives.
ABOUT THE POSITION: Innovation and Strategy Director
This position is designed to further energize UW-Stout’s broad and growing capacity to attract and sustain business partnerships and to drive innovation and economic engagement across the region and well beyond. The ideal candidate will serve as a liaison to expand the university’s connections with private and public sector leaders and will assist the Chancellor in positioning UW-Stout as a leading, strategic collaborator for industry-informed research and talent development. The Executive Director serves as the university’s primary facilitator for faculty, staff, and student engagement with external partners and will oversee: the UW-Stout Discovery Center, including the Stout Manufacturing Outreach Center; the Stout Technology and Business Park; and the comprehensive range of industry applied research, technical assistance and technology transfer efforts of the university. This position directly supports the FOCUS2030 goals for the university.
Minimum / Required
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Director-level industry experience in strategic management, or accomplished leadership of university level applied research and technical assistance activities, with experience conceptualizing and implementing strategic goals.
- Experience with budget management, including administrative organization, strategic decision-making, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience writing grants and/or funding proposals and successfully managing funded activities and budgets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the demonstrated capacity to work cooperatively and in partnership with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a work environment that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- Experience working with higher education and/or government agencies.
- High level consultation and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of applied research and technology transfer goals, objectives, and activities.
- Knowledge of intellectual property guidelines.
- Knowledge of the role of philanthropic foundations in research and scholarship.
- Experience managing client relationships and client expectations.
- Knowledge of campus and community stakeholders who should be involved to move economic development concepts forward in a timely manner and on a schedule that will be accelerated when compared to typical university projects.
Growth of Productive Economic Engagement Networks and Oversight of Industry Collaboration:
- Serve as lead UW-Stout liaison and representative with business and industry, state and federal agencies, and other constituencies regarding Stout's industry applied research, technology transfer and industry outreach activities.
- Chair the University Partnership Council and lead institutional engagement activities and reporting, to include overseeing development and implementation of university-wide, externally focused, web-based tools (e.g., experts list; alumni tracker; industry advisory network, etc.).
- Develop and implement a strategic and targeted marketing plan to reach high impact business and industry partners and engage them in initiatives strategically linked to university priorities.
- Research opportunities and facilitate responses to requests for information, research proposals, and/or partnerships from industry and nonprofit organizations.
- In coordination with the Assistant Chancellor of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, identify, initiate, and implement opportunities to diversify engagement with industry and university partnerships.
- Initiate and oversee partner prospect visits and outreach events.
- Create and support relevant collaborations with other universities and colleges.
- Assist complementary strategic UW-Stout industry and community engagement initiatives as assigned by the Chancellor.
Management of Funding Proposal Opportunities and Expansion of Third-Party Programs:
- Work to identify and increase potential resource opportunities through industry partners, sponsored projects, and nonprofit organizations.
- Assist Chancellor’s Cabinet, academic leadership, and select partners to drive grant proposal development and inform fundraising initiatives.
- Lead grant writing, submission, and efficient execution and reporting of funded projects.
Strategic Leadership and Supervision:
- Develop, refine, and implement a comprehensive partnership and economic engagement strategic plan; set team priorities; and plan team workflow.
- Supervise unit budgets, expenditures, and reporting.
- Manage staff and resources to ensure effective and efficient industry engagement and partnership initiatives, including grant writing and events (conferences, seminars, retreats, etc.).
- Develop strategies for measuring and capturing the impacts of activities, projects, programs, and initiatives in partnership with UW-Stout leadership.
- Provide regular updates and reports to the Chancellor.
Faculty, Staff and Student Outreach:
- In coordination with the Provost’s Office, communicate with faculty/staff to ensure awareness of opportunities for involvement and to drive engagement in industry, partnership, and economic engagement projects.
- In coordination with the Provost’s Office, facilitate faculty/staff involvement in industry applied research and technology transfer activities.
- Enhance interaction among faculty, staff, students, and corporate tenants in the Stout Technology Park.
- Assess, secure, and protect intellectual property from applied research projects where appropriate.
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens in an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive community that fosters a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin System, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees, including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students.
UW-Stout is committed to investing in and ensuring access to equitable, diverse, and inclusive learning, student living, and work environments that reflect our regional and global connections.
The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by May 15, 2022. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter*
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
- Inclusivity Statement: Equity, diversity and inclusion are important to the mission of UW-Stout. Write a one-page or less statement demonstrating your past/present work, volunteer, and/or lived experience and how you envision carrying that experience into your work at UW-Stout.
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references.
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Kristi Krimpelbein, Head of Staff
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Bethany Risler
Job Family: Supervisory