Facilities Repair Worker - Project
JOB TITLE: Facilities Repair Worker - Project Position
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
APPOINTMENT PERCENTAGE (FTE): 1.0; project appointment for two-year term
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 9/9/19
SALARY: 15.00/hour minimum starting salary
This project position will be assisting campus plumber with water quality program through systematic flushing of plumbing fixtures.Perform maintenance and repairs on building exterior and interior systems.Install, maintain and repair classroom and office fixtures/furniture/equipment.Assist with roof, masonry, caulking, and concrete related work.Operate equipment such as forklift, scissor lift and boom lift.Assist skilled trades in carpentry, electrical, plumbing, steamfitter, painting, locksmithing, etc. on projects.Perform work in a safe, efficient and timely manner.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
40% Campus water quality flushing program
- Work closely with Crafts Worker supervisor and campus plumber to flush plumbing fixtures across campus and log information
35% Installations, maintenance and repair of campus building fixtures and structure
- Install markerboards, tack boards, signs, bathroom accessories, shelving, projection screens,
- Assists in repairing, adjusting, replacing and maintaining, shelving, chalk and tack boards, signs, cabinets, door and window hardware, internal and external trim and other fixed equipment
- Repairs, maintains, disassembles and assembles general classroom and office furniture, workstations, cubicles and partitions.
- Assists in repairing and replacing floor finishes and coverings including vinyl base, ceramic tile, quarry tile, grout, VCT, Carpet tiles, etc.
- Assists in repairing wall surfaces and finishes and preparing surfaces for painting
- Replaces ceiling tiles
20% Miscellaneous Work
- Assist skilled trades with their maintenance and repair work as needed
- Performs cleaning duties upon completion of tasks or projects of equipment, material and machine moving and relocation of all as required by the supervisor
- Keeps storage/shop areas clean and store all items in an orderly manner
- Assist with warehouse and tool crib when necessary
- Deliver filters, motors, pumps, equipment, etc. to required locations
- Assist with snow removal as necessary
- Other maintenance work as necessary for the University to function with a minimum of interruptions
- Comply with recognized environmental health and safety practices
- Use campus email and internet programs for communication, information, time keeping, work order system as needed to compliment campus protocol
- A valid Wisconsin Driver License is required for the operation of a state-licensed vehicle
5% Equipment operation skills
- As required, operates forklifts, trucks, and scissors lift, etc.
- As required, operate table saws, radial arm saws, band saw, planer, jointer, sander, drill press, welding and cutting equipment and various other shop tools
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities
- Basic computer skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and craftsmanship
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness and resourcefulness
- Work independently and as part of a team environment and on collaborative efforts
- Experience in an educational or state facility/environment
- Experience in facility repair work, maintenance or construction
- Valid Driver’s license
- Ability to obtain O&M Asbestos training/certification
- Ability to obtain forklift operator certification
Must be able to stand for long periods of time, climb ladders, stoop, crouch, climb stairways, crawl, turn, kneel and balance.
- Lifting up to 50lb. objects is required along with pushing or pulling carts loaded with several hundred pounds
- Breathing masks are required to be worn during some construction duties
Working Conditions and Environment
Employee must be able to work in partially lit spaces, confined spaces, dusty and/or dirty spaces, on raised platforms/ladders and in extreme temperatures
Employee must wear safety toe shoes during entire shift and is responsible to wear additional PPE as determined necessary by employee/supervisor during the course of job duties
Facilities Management is comprised of Building Maintenance and Grounds, Custodial Services, Heating Plant, Administration, and Facilities Planning and Engineering. The campus is comprised of 2.4 million square feet on approximately 135 acres including 55 buildings of which 22 are academic/research, 12 support services and 21 for university housing. The campus has its own utilities of steam, chilled water, data and electricity.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All students are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/community.cfm.
Facts and data about the university: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/facts.cfm.
The minimum starting salary is $ 15.00 per hour. The hourly rate for this position is negotiable based on experience and available budget. A six-month probation is required. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State Retirement Plan. Benefit details can be found at: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/Univ-staff.pdf.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate successfully passing an essential job function test along with a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit:
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
Screening of applications will begin on July 30, 2019; however, screening may continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received online by 11:59pm on July 29, 2019.
Your online application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Please be sure you have included the following documents:
- Current resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three professional work references
Go to: http://jobs.uwstout.edu
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our online application system are available via:
If you If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Job Family: Staff