Financial Specialist I - **Extended Deadline
Stout University Foundation/University Advancement
The Stout University Foundation/University Advancement Office is seeking a full-time, financial specialist to join its team. This position works collaboratively with the Stout University Foundation and UW-Stout Alumni Association.
This position is responsible for documenting and receipting philanthropic gifts to the Stout University Foundation. Utilizing Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge software, this position is key to managing donor and alumni giving and demographic data, generating gift reports, and other related gift receipts and reports. In addition, processing accounts payable, verifying invoices and expenses, preparing payments, reconciling university financial reports, all in accordance with UW-Stout and Stout University Foundation policies.
This position is a full-time, annual appointment that reports to the Director of Finance and Advancement Services. The anticipated start date for this position is November 2021.
- Associate degree or equivalent experience in higher education or the financial field
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Basic bookkeeping and accounting knowledge
- Experience in budget development
- Demonstrated proficiency in verbal and written communications
- Excellent judgment including sensitivity to personal and confidential information
- Excellent interpersonal, and customer service skills in working with a diverse community
- Work independently and as part of a team environment on collaborative efforts
- Three years or more of professional experience in accounting or related field
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge, Financial Edge or similar customer relationship management and financial software
- Demonstrated experience that supports cultural, academic, and intellectual diversity and inclusion
- A strong desire to champion the mission of the University of Wisconsin-Stout and the office of University Advancement
- Prepare gift batches, assuring gifts are credited to the proper donor, appeal, and fund. Break down deposit batches and file correspondence in proper files.
- Prepare and send IRS donor acknowledgement letters. Verify donor contact information and update as necessary.
- Process online credit card donations/registrations. Process EFT donations as indicated on the Foundation’s monthly bank statement.
- Administer the Foundation’s corporate matching gift program. Assure all matching gifts are properly recorded and credited to the donor.
- Process employee payroll deduction forms.
- Prepare and post journal entries as requested.
- Reconcile the checking account monthly with general ledger.
- Reconcile University financial reports for the Foundation and Alumni accounts and prepare related journal entries.
- Reconcile the Foundation’s university funding strings quarterly.
- Process event registrations and prepare journal entries.
- Maintain accounts payable files using Blackbaud’s Financial Edge software.
- Code invoices with appropriate expense, sub-find, and purpose codes as necessary.
- Verify all authorizations are documented prior to preparing checks.
- Ensure that all payments follow Foundation policies and that duplicate payments are not made.
- Enter invoices into accounts payable software.
- Prepare checks.
- Post transactions to general ledger and maintain appropriate files.
Prepare Financial Reports
- Prepare account reports for campus departments and answer account inquiries.
- Prepare reports and worksheets as requested.
- Prepare monthly Alumni and Annual Fund budget to actual reports.
- Open, sort, and distribute mail as needed.
- Second point of contact for incoming calls.
- Assist in preparation for the Foundation Board meetings. Assist in taking minutes and compiling agendas for committee meetings.
- Test and troubleshoot online donation and event webpages.
- Prepare pledge reminder letters as necessary.
- Update constituent records in Raiser’s Edge when new contact information is obtained.
- Monitor upcoming events and activities and be able to disseminate information to calls and take registration information.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being¿Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 49 undergraduate and 22 graduate degrees, including three terminal degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students. The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
The minimum starting salary is $17.00. The normal work schedule for this position is 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/univstaff21.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks. Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.1279.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the qualifications
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, November 30, 2021. Screening of applications may continue until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Jennifer Rudiger
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Cindy Hangartner
Job Family: Staff