Financial Specialist II
Financial Specialist II, CAHS
The Financial Specialist II provides financial assistance to the CAHS college and other units as assigned; acts as financial office specialist for departments and schools as assigned; responsibilities include reconciliations, payroll management, assisting with grants, budget, forecasting and other related duties.
Minimum / Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in an office environment.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent judgment including sensitivity to personal and confidential information.
- Excellent interpersonal, and customer service skills in working with a diverse community.
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, and resourcefulness.
- Work independently and as part of a team environment and on collaborative efforts.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
- Two-year Associate Degree and/or higher degree or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of financial systems and general accounting principles.
UW System Title: Financial Specialist II
Financial Management Responsibilities 80%
- Function as funding string administrator for general operating departments/schools and select grant funding strings, for 102, CI, ATL, Stout Foundation, work study and other funding strings or sources of funding as needed.
- Assist with purchases either by procurement card, purchase requisition, or purchase order.
- Prepare and regularly maintain department accounting record system.
- Monitor and reconcile financials as required.
- Assist in compiling quantitative and financial data for Business Manager/Director/Dean use in the annual budget preparation process.
- Assist with compiling and submitting financial status reports to the Business Manager/Director/Dean.
- Process and monitor unclassified, university staff, and student payrolls.
- Communicate with appropriate personnel concerning budget transfers, discrepancies, etc., regarding university accounting activity reports. Prepare budget transfers and/or deposits.
- Assist with compiling and submitting budget/accounting forms (budget, expenditure, and payroll transfers; personnel action forms, etc.) to maintain accurate department records.
- Obtain price/bid information for capital equipment purchases and replacement parts following university purchasing guidelines. Initiate follow-up action for installation as needed.
- Maintain capital equipment, computer, and key inventory records.
- Work with the accounting services grants accountant to set up, monitor, and close out grant funding strings.
- Prepare gift-in-kind/gift-of-money forms; maintain a record of donations.
- Assist with budget request forms for Redbook (annual budget) complying with college and university deadlines.
- Assist with compiling and submitting budget forecast.
Other Activities 20%
- Manage key/card access as assigned.
- Department Assistant summer and backup coverage as needed.
- Service as talent coordinator (TAM) for new and current searches.
- Perform special projects and other duties as directed.
- Comply with recognized environmental health and safety practices.
CAHS is committed to promoting the growth of students by providing quality programs, services, and facilities in collaboration with the university, community, and others we serve.
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff, and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national, and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community .
Commensurate with finalist’s qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguideus.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/benefits-estimator/
All qualified candidates meeting application requriements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal opporutnity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilitiesa nd from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as e continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
To apply click APPLY or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
*Revised Screening Date. To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by end of day on February 13, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter *Include a statement (2-3 sentences) regarding how you would foster a climate of equity, diversity and inclusion within the work environment
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement. This aligns with our campus inclusive excellence goals and goes beyond the traditional process to increase the pool of diverse candidates.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Amy Gjestson
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Lorin Kuester
Job Family: Staff