Financial Specialist II
Financial Specialist II
This position is under the general supervision of the Director of Campus Card Office (CCO) and Student Life & Services (SLS) Technology and is responsible for the collection of financial data using UW-Stout software, maintenance, and development of financial reports, and perform accounting and auditing duties that are moderate in complexity but do not require knowledge of professional accounting or auditing theory. This position is also responsible for representing the Campus Card Office through friendly and knowledgeable customer service for dining accounts and the Campus BlueCard; and responsible for advising, training, and assisting, the student workers.
This position interprets and applies applicable rules and regulations for operational enhancements and changes. Delegated authority mandates that this position is ultimately responsible and accountable for ensuring proper internal controls are in place and maintained to provide the accuracy of each transaction. This position has been granted pre-audited delegated authority for preparation of deposits for cash receipt entry.
Official UW Title: Financial Specialist II *link to standard job description
APPOINTMENT PERCENTAGE (FTE): 1.0
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 4/1/2024
Minimum / Required
- Minimum of 2 years of financial or accounting related work experience.
- Knowledge accounts payable, and accounts receivable transactions.
- Knowledge of PC-based word processing, and spreadsheets.
- Associate degree.
- Five (5) years or more of financial work experience.
- Professional work experience with Microsoft Excel and use of macros, pivot tables, and other tools.
- Experience working with Transact software including Transact System Enterprise (TSE) and Transact Reporting System.
- Knowledge of database software applications.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
40%-50% Financial reporting
- Schedule and run sales reports, block plan meal reports, deposit reports, reconciliation reports, and operator reports for all locations.
- Reconcile all sales entered in Excel with the sales daily.
- Utilizing the operator reports, verify manual adjustments made to accounts have back-up for audit trail.
- Audit, prepare, and process weekly and monthly sales reports. Distribute to department managers.
- Laundry reports are adjusted as needed and submitted to accountant weekly.
- Adjust laundry, soda and snack machines sales reports as needed. Submit reports for payment.
- Prepare revenue transfer reports daily. Schedule reports and verify, reconciling with manual transactions.
- Process and transfer the allocation chargeback fee monthly.
- Process and verify web deposit reports daily. Verify, and resolve any discrepancies.
- Utilize campus specific software to ensure report integrity.
- Create ad hoc reports as requested.
20%-30% Revenue Processing
- Audit, verify, and deposit sales from locations using sales reports.
- Ensures proper internal controls and procedures are maintained to monitor and safeguard change fund.
- Responsible of developing, implementing, and updating work instructions relating to cash reconciliation and accounts receivable.
- Assist department managers and supervisors with cash handling problems and cashier training.
- Audit soda and snack vending checks. Verify and reconcile discrepancies with department managers.
- Develop and maintain systematic processes to improve productivity, value and capabilities of all financial responsibilities.
- Additional auditing duties as requested.
10%-15% University Student Accounts
- Adjust students' on-campus accounts. Reconcile and file for audit trail.
- Charge students' university accounts when students deposit money to their on-campus accounts.
- Process account closures of remaining funds from on-campus accounts. Reconcile and file for audit trail.
5%-10% Customer Service
- Create and issue student, faculty, and staff Stout BlueCards.
- Assist students, faculty, staff, and guests with BlueCard and on-campus account questions and issues.
- Set-up and maintain the on-campus accounts for students, faculty, staff and guests.
- Review, analyze, and resolve problems or errors with patrons providing any documentation requested.
- Interpret relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines, and exercise good judgment in applying rules.
- Educate staff on procurement card policy and procedures to ensure compliance with campus and UW-System policies.
- Advise, train, and provide procedural assistance to student workers.
- Oversee students' work is done accurately and efficiently.
- Train co-workers when assistance is needed during heavy work times.
- Comply with recognized environmental health and safety practices.
- Update department operating procedures and processes.
Campus Card Office is part of Student Life & Services unit. Campus Card Office consists of professional staff and student staff that provide support for the official university card that serves as a one-card solution for identification, e-commerce, security, and access functionality.
Applications received by end of day, February 11, 2024, are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after February 11th may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (* See below)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Jason Horzewski
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Emily Barth
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin¿s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community.
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguideus.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate¿s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Staff