JOB TITLE: Financial Specialist (UW Financial Specialist Title Series)
DEPARTMENT: Discovery Center
APPOINTMENT PERCENTAGE (FTE): 1.0
ANTICIPATED START DATE: November 18, 2019
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
- Responsible for independently executing all administrative aspects involved in the employment of student workers within unit.
- Assist with meeting all financial reporting deadlines for Discovery Center funding strings, grants, and contracts.
- Maintain current and accurate financial records, using Excel spreadsheets for grant and cost share funding strings – including expenses, encumbrances, and revenue.
- Monitor Discovery Center accounts and provide status reports to the DC Senior Accountant and/or DC Executive Director, for reconciliation purposes.
- Assist the DC Senior Accountant by working with the grants pre- and post-awards offices, and other relevant offices on campus, to establish and finalize grant-related activities and budgetary concerns related to grant proposals, grant budget execution and grant reporting.
- Process daily transactions, transfers and reconcile monthly budget activities.
- Assist in quarterly- and year-end DC budget reports for federal and state funding agencies.
- Work as a team member to support and participate in relevant continuous improvement activities which affect Discovery Center operations.
- Strong working knowledge of general accounting practices, financial statements, and basic accounting terminology and practices
- Excellent judgment, including sensitivity to personal and confidential information.
- Working knowledge of desktop hardware and standard business software programs (e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Internet Explorer)
- Good work habits and ability to work independently and as part of a team environment on collaborative efforts
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in business or management discipline
- Experience in a higher educational environment
- Experience using university and UW System information systems (Hyperion, PeopleSoft, WISDM, ImageNow, Salesforce)
- Experience with federal, state, and private grants management, including cost share agreements
The Discovery Center is UW-Stout’s lead engagement organization, facilitating external access to UW-Stout’s physical and intellectual resources for applied research and technology transfer. The Discovery Center reports to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs and is charged with advancing UW-Stout's polytechnic focus and the university's commitment to quality and innovation, transformative education and interdisciplinary collaboration.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All students are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/community.cfm.
Facts and data about the university: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/facts.cfm.
The normal work schedule for this position is 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The minimum starting salary is $16.00 per hour. The hourly rate for this position is negotiable based on experience and available budget. A six-month probation is required. This position is in the Financial Specialist – UW Title Series and the UW title will be determined based on professional skills and/or experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State Retirement Plan to qualified applicants. Benefit details can be found at: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/Univ-staff.pdf.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, employment will be contingent upon a criminal background check and authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit:
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
Screening of applications will begin 11/6/2019 and may continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, complete applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on 11/5/2019.
Your online application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached, and all required fields are completed. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Current resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three professional work references
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our online application system are available via:
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For question regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Michelle Greenway-Lawler
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Stephen Eibes
Job Family: Staff