Foodservice Instructor, School of Hospitality Leadership
The School of Hospitality Leadership is seeking a multi-disciplinary, culinary-focused professional with experience in food and beverage management. This is a nine-month academic-year, non-tenure track position starting August 23, 2021 with potential for renewal.
- Evidence of knowledge currency and passion for the culinary field
- Earned Bachelor’s degree with a specialization in or related to culinary or hospitality management or a Bachelor’s degree unrelated to hospitality/culinary with 2 years of foodservice management experience
- Evidence of effective teaching and/or training experience in food and beverage management.
- Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with a diverse student population
- Success working with diverse stakeholders
- Interest in advancing student learning in the culinary and hospitality field
- Earned Master’s degree, or credits towards degree completion, that complements the Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management program within the School of Hospitality Leadership
- A minimum two years of full-time (or equivalent part-time) experience teaching food and beverage/restaurant management courses
- A minimum of three years’ experience of successfully managing or supervising foodservice/restaurant operations
The candidate must be prepared to teach courses in at least one of the School's degree areas, with particular emphasis in the Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management program. The successful candidate will teach in both face-to-face and online environments, collaboratively work with internal and external stakeholders to support the development of foodservice management capabilities within our students, assist in refining the culinary curriculum, actively provide career advice to students and contribute to the assessment of student learning.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout’s School of Hospitality Leadership gives students an expansive educational experience that prepares them for leadership and management opportunities in the fast-paced and cutting-edge world of hospitality, golf and real estate industries. We provide students a world-class education focused on professionalism, leadership and service. Our programs offer active learning in a variety of settings: through real-world situations in classrooms and laboratories and on-site at leading companies located throughout the United States. The School of Hospitality Leadership enrolls more than 800 students in the undergraduate programs of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management, Golf Enterprise Management and Real Estate Property Management.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 49 undergraduate and 22 graduate degrees, including three terminal degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students. The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.1279.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Inclusivity statement: Separate one-page or less document demonstrating your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion that supports student success
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
- Unofficial copies of transcripts; official transcripts required at time of hire
To ensure consideration, submit a complete application online by Wednesday, March 31, 2021. Applications received after March 31st may be reviewed until position is filled.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Betsy Pudliner
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Department Coordinator: Janell Reitz
Job Family: Teaching