The Stout University Foundation at the University of Wisconsin-Stout is accepting applications for a full-time Gift Officer. This position will be responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts—both current and deferred—to the colleges and programs of the University of Wisconsin-Stout. The position complements the development efforts of the Chancellor and Deans and works closely with college faculty and staff, as well as the Board of Directors and staff of the Stout University Foundation. The Gift Officer will work primarily with alumni, friends, and foundations to determine philanthropic interests and goals, and effectively close gifts in support of the university’s strategic fundraising priorities.
The minimum annual starting salary is $75,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Limited remote work/telecommuting may be possible after completion of a training period, successful on-the-job performance, departmental needs assessment and approval. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
Official UW Title: Gift Officer I (AV013) / Gift Officer II (AVO42)
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in professional or higher education fund raising, public relations, marketing, or sales.
- Demonstrated proficiency with written and verbal communications.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on activities with minimal direction.
- Commitment to higher education and a strong desire to champion the mission of the University of Wisconsin-Stout.
- Evidence of expertise in fundraising experience in higher education, with demonstrated ability to cultivate, successfully solicit and steward major and planned gift donors.
- Demonstrate experience with comprehensive fundraising strategies, major gift fundraising and estate or planned giving tools.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a broad range of colleagues and constituents.
The primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of assigned college(s) and individual programs’ mission and needs as they pertain to fundraising priorities.
- Develop and maintain prospect list with annual goals for face-to-face visits and dollars raised.
- Implement development activities and manage a portfolio of prospects and donors to ensure timely steps are taken toward solicitation, gift closure, and stewardship.
- Conceive, write and edit fundraising proposals.
- Utilize both current and planned gift opportunities to best meet donors' needs, interests, and financial giving capabilities.
- Support the donor database management system by maintaining development actions are up-to-date and accurate in the individual’s record.
- Plan and conduct trips in key geographic areas to qualify and cultivate donors, and work with alumni and development staff, as well as college deans and faculty as appropriate to maximize fundraising results.
- Represent the assigned areas of focus at appropriate college and university meetings and events.
- Provide leadership and support to volunteer boards and committees to fulfill fundraising projects.
- Support stewardship activities specific to major and planned giving donors.
The UW-Stout Office of University Advancement is comprised of the Stout University Foundation and the Stout Alumni Association. The two units collaboratively strive to advance the mission of UW-Stout through building relationships with alumni, friends, and industry partners of the university. Under the direction of the Stout University Foundation Board of Directors, the Stout University Foundation is responsible for the acquisition and stewardship of philanthropic resources for UW-Stout.
Applications received by end of day, April 20, 2023 are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after this date may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (* See below)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Jennifer Rudiger
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact: Doreen Johnson, Human Resources, Email: email@example.com
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Minimum starting salary of $75,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience, with opportunities for remote work. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan. As a 12-month full-time employee in this position, you will be entitled to the following paid leave: 22 vacation days; 9 legal holidays, 36 hours personal/floating holidays. Additionally, granted an initial entitlement of 22 days sick leave which may be used during the first 18-months of employment. Thereafter, 96 hours earned per fiscal year (1 day per month for 12-month employees).
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Staff
Job Reference #: 19508