60% Care and maintenance of annual and woody and herbaceous plants
- Diagnose and correct landscape plant issues on campus.
- Design annual beds, foundations plantings and perennial beds for campus.
- Fertilize, seed, aerate, water and spray pesticides on annuals, perennials, trees and shrubs.
- Trim woody and herbaceous plant material and remove and dispose of dead and infected plant material.
- Plant woody and herbaceous plant material as required.
- Operate various equipment efficiently and safely. Equipment includes, but is not limited to, mowers, front end loaders, dump trucks, utility tractors and attachments.
25% Snow removal of walks, parking lots, and drives.
- Plow, broom, blow and hand shovel snow as needed.
- Operate Holders, tractors, end loaders, sanders and spreaders and other equipment assigned.
- Salt and Sand as needed.
- Ability to work 15 hours in a 24-hour period.
15% Perform Miscellaneous tasks as directed
- Follow all safety procedures and report any unsafe conditions to your supervisor.
- Utilize environmentally friendly practices.
- Perform minor repair and preventive maintenance on equipment
- Report all equipment problems to your Supervisor and the Mechanic.
- Accurately record all your work time in TMA and HRS. Accurately record all fuel and supply usage on proper forms.
- Maintain ability to operate computers and required software.
- Respond to emergencies, when available, outside of normal work hours
- Assist other units of Physical Plant as directed by your supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned by your supervisor
- Experience in grounds maintenance, landscaping or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, and customer service skills in working with a diverse community.
- Working knowledge of desktop hardware and standard business software programs (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, database) and the Internet.
- Ability to delegate and prioritize work on a daily basis.
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness and resourcefulness.
- Work independently and as part of a team environment and on collaborative efforts.
- Bachelor of Science degree or Associates degree in Horticulture or related field.
- 1 year of employment in the horticulture industry.
- State of Wisconsin certified pesticide applicators license.
- Experience in commercial snow removal.
- Experience operating various turf maintenance and snow removal equipment.
- Ability to obtain a driver’s authorization from the University of Wisconsin Stout.
- Must pass the essential job function test.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All students are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/community.cfm.
Facts and data about the university: http://www.uwstout.edu/about/facts.cfm.
The normal work schedule for this position is 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, plus overtime during snow events.
The minimum starting salary is $13.00 per hour. The hourly rate for this position is negotiable based on experience and available budget. A six-month probation is required. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State Retirement Plan. Benefit details can be found at: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/Univ-staff.pdf.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Final candidate must successfully pass a full background check before an offer of employment can be made.
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit:
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
As of 6/21/2018 still accepting applications for the positions. Screening of applications may continue until the position is filled.
Your online application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached, and all required fields are completed. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Please be sure you have included the following documents:
- Current resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three professional work references
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our online application system are available via:
For specific job questions, please contact Mike Smith at email@example.com or 715-232-2107
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Job Family: Staff