Head Coach of Esports
This is a unique opportunity for a qualified individual to build a competitive collegiate Esports program. This position will oversee all aspects of a comprehensive collegiate Esports program, including sponsored games, special events, and facility operation. This position will oversee a staff of student workers/coaches and focus on achieving yearly recruitment and retention for qualified student-athletes. This position will oversee all aspects of the sport program, including, but not limited to, practice planning, game preparation/scouting, in-game coaching, budgeting, scheduling, staff supervision, and fundraising for the program. The position will ensure a diverse array of Esports programming that will attract participation from a broad spectrum of current and prospective students is offered. They will manage daily operations of the Esports room and be responsible for scheduling and equipment maintenance. The position will also work with other university stakeholders on partnerships within the Esports program. This is a full-time, academic year appointment.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum two years’ experience playing or coaching Esports at a competitive level
- Master’s degree preferred
- Ability to recruit quality student-athletes
- Working knowledge of Esports gaming equipment
- Demonstrate familiarity with national trends and best practices related to equity, diversity, inclusivity, and undergraduate retention programs and practices
- Develop and oversee the Esports program, including all administrative operations, team travel, ordering equipment and apparel, budget planning and management
- Recruit and retain qualified student-athletes
- Instructs and coaches student-athletes on game strategies and performance principles
- Manage game day operation and scouting of opponents
- Coordinates the development of a competitive and balanced schedule
- Manages team within the framework of established budget by purchasing equipment/apparel, uniforms, supplies, and other services
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates Esports programming, including sponsored games, special events, leagues camps and tournaments
- Establishes and maintains operations schedule for Esports room
- Hires, supervises, and mentors student staff/coaches
- Monitors eligibility status and promotes academic progress of student-athletes
- Coordinate team fundraising and promote alumni and community engagement through various programming and outreach
- Oversees all equipment maintenance, ordering and repairs for Esports room
- Enforces department and team expectations regarding general standard of behavior for student-athletes
- Performs administrative tasks and completes requests for information as assigned
- Contributes to the overall success of the Athletics Department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- This position is a mandated reporter under the Jeanne Clery Act as a Campus Security Authority (CSA)
UW-Stout Athletics is a NCAA Division III institution with 19 varsity sports committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Minimum starting salary of $45,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Click on the Apply button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter* Include a statement (4-6 sentences) regarding how you would foster a climate of equity, diversity, and inclusion within the program and/or work environment.
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by March 22, 2023. Applications submitted after March 22nd may be reviewed until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Erin Sullivan
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Melissa Rappley
Job Family: Staff
Job Reference #: 19440