Human Resources Office Manager
HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE MANAGER
Seeking a team member that is passionate and committed to promoting the development of an equitable and inclusive environment.
The Human Resources Office Manager (Department Assistant) serves as the primary contact for the Human Resources office serving as the office manager. The individual is responsible for providing a high level of customer service and requires a broad understanding of all the functions and activities in the office. This position performs their work under the general supervision of the Senior Human Resources Officer (SHRO). The position performs a range of duties from simple to complex and must be flexible, self-motivated, and able to navigate within a dynamic environment in which priorities may shift frequently. Anticipated start date is February 1, 2023.
ABOUT THE JOB: Department Assistant
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a climate (work environment) that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Experience providing administrative support in an office setting
- Excellent judgment including sensitivity to personal and confidential information.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills in working with a diverse community.
- Working knowledge of desktop hardware and standard business software programs (e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, database) and the Internet.
- Possess the ability to prioritize work and carry out work independently and within a team environment.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience providing administrative support in a Human Resources department
- Experience working within a higher education environment.
- Experience in assisting with the administration of a budget within a professional setting.
- This individual will have front office responsibility ensuring proper coverage with either student employees or providing coverage when needed.
- Provide full cycle customer service to office visitors and callers including answering general questions, researching customer inquiries, referring customers to the appropriate staff, and ensuring follow up with the customer post-inquiry.
- Recruit/hire/train/supervise student employees and interns, as well as provide work direction/performance feedback, approve payable time entry, and coordinate job shadow opportunities.
- Oversee the distribution of incoming and outgoing mail and packages.
- Coordinate documentation and information requests and ensure the maintenance of confidentiality in the handling and disposition of records.
- Provide support to HR Committees and staff meetings.
- Assist with the administration of the departments SharePoint site(s).
- Coordinate the background check process and manage the billing from UW Shared Services to campus departments.
- Manage the telecommuting process on campus by acknowledging new requests and initiating renewal notices.
- Oversee the planning, execution, and follow-up of initiatives on behalf of, and in conjunction with, the HR Leadership team.
- Analyze, assist, and compile information in support of the on-going development and operationalization of HR policies and standard operating procedures.
- Conduct research, analyze, and synthesize information in a concise way for communication with a variety of audiences.
- Work with the divisional business manager on all matters related to procurement, accounts payable, financial management, travel and expense reimbursements, and budget development.
- Serve as Human Resources representative on university Business Facilitators group and account administrator for Human Resources accounts.
- Serve as the procurement coordinator for the Human Resources Office. Investigate most economical costs. Be knowledgeable of and follow purchasing guidelines. Prepare all needed procurement and accounts payable forms.
- Serve as Human Resources records custodian for all purchase requisitions, purchase orders, travel expenses, food service bills, etc. In coordination with the divisional business manager, provide financial information in a timely manner for budget decisions by the SHRO.
- Coordinate ancillary equipment replacement and inventory (i.e., computer, telephone, etc.).
- Register employees for training events, make travel arrangements, and process reimbursement for Human Resources staff.
- Provide assistance to the recruitment team with posting job ads and supporting search committees throughout the recruitment process.
Human Resources provides leadership, policy development, guidance, and functional expertise to sustain and engage a talented, diverse workforce. We are a trusted partner that values diversity, promotes equity, nurtures resilience, and considers the impact of decisions on our greatest resource: people. We model integrity and high ethical standards as we engage in strategic partnerships that advance the greater mission of the University of Wisconsin-Stout.
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners, ethical leaders, and responsible citizens in an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive community that fosters a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees, including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students.
UW-Stout is committed to investing in and ensuring access to equitable, diverse, and inclusive learning, student living, and work environments that reflect our regional and global connections.
The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
The hourly rate for this position is based on experience and available budget. A six-month probationary period is required. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguideus.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing the reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Cally Henderson
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Meghan Amidon
Job Family: Staff