Instructional Librarian (One year emergency hire)
Working Title: Instructional Librarian
UW Title: Academic Librarian
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Regular/Temporary: Temporary (one year appointment)
Anticipated Start Date: February 11, 2019
Reports To: Director, University Library
Reporting to the Director of the University Library, this position has responsibility for providing instruction and reference/research help services in conjunction with library professional staff. This position maintains and develops library e-guides in the library’s web portal, and in addition will work on selected projects during the hiring period. The position also collaborates with campus instructional design and other instructional support teams in delivering academic support services. Candidates who demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills, innovative approaches to library services, and a collaborative mindset are encouraged to apply.
- ALA accredited master’s degree in Library/Information Science, or substantial coursework toward achieving master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
- Demonstrated ability to design, organize and teach instruction sessions required.
- Training or experience providing reference services, preferably in an academic environment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students, faculty, and staff.
- Excellent collaboration skills and aptitude for working in teams required.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and other productivity tools
- Training or experience in writing or editing instructional materials is desirable.
- Training or experience in video editing software is desirable.
Essential Functions :
- Acts as Instruction/Teaching Librarian for the University Library, in cooperation with library colleagues.
- Promotes and evaluates the University Library Instruction Program.
- Designs, develops, produces and maintains web-based learning aids in collaboration with other staff. Incorporates library resources into digital learning environment.
- Works with the Library Director, other library colleagues, and instructional design and support teams to develop library instruction program.
- Collaborates with colleagues in providing research support and assistance for students and faculty.
- Participates in the Reference Team and other library units to develop policy, review collections and participate in other projects as needed.
Other Functions :
- Works on special projects and assignments as defined and designated by the Director of the University Library.
- Supervises work projects for student assistants when appropriate
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University , a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment.
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/police/clery.cfm
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials :
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
Job Family: Staff