International Student & Scholar Advisor
The International Student & Scholar Advisor at UW-Stout advocates for and advises international students and scholars and support systems, including matters pertaining to cultural adjustments, nonimmigrant visas and the Federal regulations governing them, as well as institutional and UW System policies and procedures.
The anticipated start date is October 1, 2023.
Official UW Title International Education Advisor (AE049): Link to standard job description
Minimum / Required
* Bachelor¿s Degree
* Successful candidate must be able to be verified by the Department of Homeland Security as a Designated School Official (DSO) and an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO)
* Valid driver¿s license
* Bilingual or multilingual fluency
* Flexibility, and the ability to establish priorities and manage multiple demands in a fast-paced environment
* Attention to detail, strong organizational and analytical skills
* Experience relating to students, scholars, and others from diverse cultural backgrounds
* Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate in the planning and implementation of various campus and community programs
60% International Student & Scholar Advising
- Serve as the Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the University to the Department of Homeland Security in all F & J nonimmigrant visa matters, including maintenance of SEVIS records, PeopleSoft, and Terra Dotta to meet the Student and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS) reporting requirements.
- Serve as liaison to academic departments on J-1 exchange and/or sponsored students.
- Collaborates with campus community to provide international student support services, including but not limited to pre-arrival communications, course enrollment, orientation, workshops, newsletters, printed and digital resources, scholarships, and advisement to the International Club.
- Assists with training programs to the campus community on immigration and cultural related topics.
- Facilitate international admission for non-degree international students and communicate with international partner universities on program updates.
20% International Student & Scholar Programming
- Promote internationalization on campus and integration of international students with the campus community.
- Organize on- and off-campus cultural and social activities and events to enrich the international student experience.
- Assists with friendship family program, which connects students and local-area families.
- Assists with annual and quarterly reporting of international student data, including IIE¿s Open Doors report.
- Other duties as assigned.
To learn more about the Office of International Education, please visit http://www.uwstout.edu/OIE.
Click the apply button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Applications received by end of day Thursday, July 6, 2023 are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after July 6, 2023 may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (* See below)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Danielle Clarizio
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Patti Kahler
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we¿re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin¿s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin¿s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community .
Minimum starting salary of $35,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate¿s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Staff
Job Status: Full Time