Lecturer, Fashion and Retail (Job #19186)
College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Management
Lecturer Position – Fashion and Retail Program (Job #19186)
This job announcement is being announced simultaneously with the Assistant Professor, Fashion and Retail Program (Job #19185). Vacancy will be filled with either one (1) Assistant Professor or one (1) Lecturer. More information is provided below in the Application Instructions section.
The Department of Business is seeking a team member who is passionate and committed to promoting the development of an equitable and inclusive environment. This is a full-time instructional academic staff position with a 9-month appointment, with intent to renew, and can include a leadership role as program director. The anticipated start date is August 2023.
Minimum / Required:
- A master’s degree in fashion, retail, or related field
- Evidence of potential for teaching university-level courses in fashion, product development, retailing, marketing, or related field
- Commitment to teaching excellence and mentorship of undergraduates
- Interest in advancing student learning in area of fashion and retail
- Demonstrated success working with diverse stakeholders
- Three (3) years or more of fashion or retail industry experience in a corporate setting (e.g., buying, merchandising, product development)
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to teach university-level courses in fashion, retail, marketing, or related field
- Proficiency in merchandising, planning, or product development software programs
- Evidence of a strong commitment to developing, strengthening, and enhancing diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environment.
- Demonstrated potential and interest in leadership opportunities
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a work environment that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated intercultural competence and the impact on the student experience
Teach undergraduate courses in product develoment, buying, merchandising, marketing, and other Business Department courses, as needed. This position may require alternative delivery methods and/or non-traditional teaching times.
- Provide student academic advisement and conduct assessment of student learning. This includes contributing to academic program assessment and continuous improvement processes, in collaboration with faculty and staff.
- Participate in program events and departmental meetings; demonstrate a commitment to teamwork
- Perform appropriate university, community, and professional services
UW-Stout’s Business Department is one of 8 departments within the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Management and delivers courses that serve 20 undergraduate majors, including bachelor's degrees in Business Administration, Fashion and Retail, and Supply Chain Management. The Department of Business currently has 12 full-time faculty members and typically offers 50 different courses with over 2,500 students per semester enrolled in department course offerings.
The Business Department is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
This job announcement is being announced simultaneously with Job #19185; please note only one (1) vacancy exists. Having two position vacancy listings allows the Business Department to consider candidates with a different set of credentials for this particular vacancy.
- Applicants who wish to be considered for the lecturer, academic staff position need to apply to: Lecturer, Fashion & Retail (Job #19186)
- Applicants who wish to be considered for the faculty, tenure-track position need to apply to: Assistant Professor, Fashion & Retail (Job #19185)
Complete applications received by the end of the day, January 29th, 2023, are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after January 29th, 2023, may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter: Use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Inclusivity Statement: Equity, diversity and inclusion are important to the mission of UW-Stout. Write a separate one-page or less statement demonstrating your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion that supports students’ success.
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Dr. Jongeun Rhee
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Suzanne Rowan
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package, including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Teaching