Lecturer in Art History
The University of Wisconsin–Stout invites applications for an Art Historian/Design Historian. This Lecturer position will teach five undergraduate courses per semester to include Design History and the two foundational courses (Survey of Art: Ancient to Medieval and Survey of Art: Renaissance to Modern, taught semester 1 and 2 respectively). The position offers the potential to teach History of Interactive Media, History of Film, or courses in other areas of design history expertise. This is a one-year position with intent to renew for future years at 50% or greater. This position supports the 1200+ students in the School of Art and Design and includes B.F.A. majors in Animation and Digital Media, Game Design and Development-Art, Graphic Design & Interactive Media, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Studio Art, B.S. majors in Art Education, Arts Administration & Entrepreneurship, and Video Production, and minors in Art History, Studio Art and Photography and Video. We seek a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and a commitment to promoting an equitable and inclusive environment. This position will start on 8-21-2023.
Minimum / Required
- A.B.D. in Art History or related field by start date
- Ability to teach Design History and the Introductory Survey of Art History
- Evidence of potential for teaching excellence
- Evidence of potential for working with diverse stakeholders
- Ph.D. in Art History or related field
- Ability to teach History of Interactive Media, Film History, or courses in other areas of design history expertise
- Prior teaching experience and evidence of teaching excellence
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a climate (work/learning environment) that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Teach five undergraduate courses per semester to include Design History, the two foundational courses (Survey of Art: Ancient to Medieval and Survey of Art: Renaissance to Modern), and the potential to teach History of Interactive Media, History of Film, or courses in other areas of design history expertise
- Conduct assessment of student learning. This includes contributing to academic program assessment and continuous improvement processes, in collaboration with faculty and staff
- Demonstrate organizational skills, collegiality
- Foster a rigorous and inclusive learning environment
- Participate in laptop teaching and learning
- Attend department meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned by chair
The School of Art & Design has over 80 faculty/staff and over 1,200 students, making it the largest higher education art and design entity in the upper Midwest. The art history area serves six distinct BFA programs, including Animation and Digital Media, Game Design & Development—Art, Graphic Design & Interactive Media, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Studio Art, Arts Administration & Entrepreneurship and Video Production, and minors in Art History, Studio Art and Photography and Video, a BS in Art Education, and an MFA program in Design. The School of Art & Design student population accounts for roughly 15% of the on-campus undergraduate population at UW-Stout. For more information, please visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/artdes
Applications received by end of day, Sunday, January 22, 2023 are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after 1-22-2023 may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and highly desired qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
- Unofficial copies of transcripts; official transcripts required at time of hire
- Evidence of potential for teaching excellence: Upload a single, multipage PDF which may include up to 20 examples of student work, syllabi, course materials, student evaluations
- Teaching philosophy that includes an inclusivity statement*
* Inclusivity Statement: Equity, diversity and inclusion are important to the mission of UW-Stout Write a one-page or less statement demonstrating your past/ present work, volunteer, and lived experience and how you envision carrying that experience into your work at UW-Stout.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Dr. Sarah Diebel
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinators: MaryJo Pittman and Doreen Johnson
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community.
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Teaching