Media Specialist (University Photographer)
This full-time position reports to the director of University Marketing with a dotted line reporting to the assistant director of University Communications. This position is responsible for producing a wide variety of creative, high-quality images of people and events for the university's websites, print publications, social media sites and other venues related to marketing or communications needs of campus.
The university photographer is responsible for the management of the university’s photography database and will assist the videographer with preparing multimedia presentations or videos as needed. Availability for evening and weekend projects is necessary. University Marketing provides the Media Specialist with Canon photography equipment and a MAC OS computer.
Minimum / Required
- A minimum of three years of professional photography experience.
- Experience shooting and taking video in natural and studio environments to produce high-quality images.
- Proficiency with photo and video editing software.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent professional experience of five years.
- Experienced in a variety of creative disciplines such as scripting, design and motion graphics.
- Experience organizing and archiving electronic and print image collections using a digital asset management system.
- Experience working on a Mac OS platform using Abode Creative Suite for photo and video editing.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Scheduling and coordinating in-studio and on-location photo and/or video shoots to complete assignments submitted through University Marketing’s project management system.
- Planning and coordinating with content providers across the entire campus to identify appropriate concepts, people and locations for photos or videos assigned under the supervision of University Marketing.
- Prioritizing time sensitive news story shoots assigned by the University Communications Assistant Director.
- Taking multiple photographs based on both print and web image guidelines as part of each assignment to provide options for multiple uses.
- Enhancing the quality of digital images or editing footage as appropriate.
- Partner with University Archives to oversee management of the photo database.
- Handling and maintaining all photo equipment and arranging for repair as needed.
- Recruiting, hiring, mentoring, and supervising student assistants.
University Marketing works collaboratively across campus to lead campus-wide marketing strategies and branding through the development and implementation of an annual strategic marketing plan. University Marketing provides oversight of branding guidelines, imagery, and our internet presence. University Marketing provides services free of charge to on-campus entities. We strive to meet the strategic goals of the university by offering a wide variety of services.
University Communications is responsible for internal communications, external communications and external relations. University Communications distributes news releases and a weekly e-newsletter; arranges media interviews with faculty, staff and students; is responsible for official social media platforms; produces news videos; produces content for the Outlook and e-Outlook alumni publications; and produces the annual StoutQuest research e-magazine and commencement day e-newsletters.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, employment will be contingent upon a criminal background check and authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/police/clery.cfm
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Resume that includes a link to URL(s) of online portfolio(s) of sample work. Video samples can also be provide with a link to the URL(s) of YouTube or Vimeo videos.
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
Complete applications must be submitted online by December 16, 2018 to ensure full consideration. Applications received after that date may continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
- Search Chair: Gary Schuster
- Phone: 715-232-2284
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
- Search Coordinator: C. Martin
- Email: email@example.com
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
Job Family: Staff