Military Education Benefits Coordinator
The University of Wisconsin-Stout is a Military Times "2019 Best for Vets College" proud to provide exemplary services to support veterans and active military in their academic and employment endeavors. We are committed to assisting our students from admission to graduation and beyond.
The Military Education Benefits Coordinator provides leadership, support and services to 400 active student veterans, active military, and/or eligible student family members. In addition to providing coordination of military/veteran education benefits, the position serves in an advocacy role for veterans on campus and works toward resolution of issues or concerns that impact the veteran student population. Additionally, the position assists in the recruitment, retention, and support of veteran students. While the position reports directly to the Associate Registrar on the education benefits, it also works closely with the Associate Dean of Students for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion on addressing issues that impact all under-represented students, including veterans. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required in this position. Anticipated start date for this position is April 2021.
Minimum / Required
- Earned Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse population
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of the interrelationship of veteran services on recruitment and retention
- Ability to exhibit sound professional judgement and discretion including the ability to interpret complex federal and state statutes
- Previous military service or experience
- Knowledge of federal/state veteran’s benefits, policies, issues, services, and programs
- Work experience in higher education
- Proven ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Serve as the certifying official and primary contact and campus subject matter expert for all state and federal military education benefits programs.
- Effectively articulate the military benefit programs to prospective and current students.
- Create programs, workshops and materials that adequately educate students on their eligible benefits.
- Administer all state and federal veteran benefit programs and ensure that certification of veteran benefits adheres to all statutory requirements.
- Participate actively in the recruitment and retention of veterans including planning and developing comprehensive services for them and their dependents.
- Select, train and supervise veteran work-study students to ensure compliance with the funding requirements through the Veterans Administration.
- Make referrals as necessary to appropriate student support services for veterans.
- Represent issues and concerns faced by veteran students on campus, in the greater Menomonie community, Dunn County and other agencies, groups or entities as required or as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with other units, including working closely with the Associate Dean of Students for EDI on the development of campus-wide programming and services that serve to address the needs of all students from under-represented populations, including veterans.
- Offer insight and perspective on the recruitment of veteran students and participate as appropriate in recruitment opportunities.
- Work with the appropriate offices to ensure that adequate academic and fiscal controls are in place for distribution of veteran benefits.
- Submit student enrollment and verification data in a timely fashion.
- Identify problems and solutions which maximize monetary benefits in a regulatory environment where state and federal rules conflict.
- Regularly assess the effectiveness of the delivery of veterans’ benefits.
- Represent the university at state and national meetings established for veterans certifying officials.
- Actively participate, as appropriate, in UW-System, state and national meetings and organizations that serve to benefit veteran students.
- Act as an (or coordinate) advisor for the UW-Stout Veterans Club.
The Military Education Benefits Coordinator will be a part of the Registration and Records office and will report to the Associate Registrar. This position gets to work collaboratively with numerous offices/departments across campus on a weekly basis.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich,¿dynamic,¿and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being¿Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.¿
UW-Stout offers 50 undergraduate and 24 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students. UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and professions.¿
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks. Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.1279.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by Tuesday, 2/16/2021 end of day. We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
- Search Chair: Eric Konsela
- Phone: (715) 232-5424
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
- Search Coordinator: Doreen Johnson
- Email: email@example.com
Job Family: Staff