Multicultural Student Services (MSS) Advisor
The Multicultural Student Services (MSS) office is seeking a team member who is committed to student success and development to join our dynamic and diverse team. The MSS Advisor position is responsible for providing services to support the retention and graduation of African American/Black, Native American/Indigenous, Asian American/Hmong, Hispanic/Latinx, bi-racial and multiethnic students. This position will coordinate and develop programs for ongoing and new initiatives, and foster collaboration with other offices to support the successful college transition, retention, and graduation of underrepresented minority students. This position will report directly to the MSS Director.
UW Official Title / Job Description: Retention Specialist AE107
- Bachelor's degree
- Working knowledge and understanding of race, culture, intersectionality, and issues concerning underrepresented and unserved communities in higher education
- Experience working with underrepresented and underserved populations
- Demonstrated experience in planning, developing, and facilitating programs, events, and workshops from design to implementation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Direct experience working with and supporting African American/Black, Native American/Indigenous, Asian American/Hmong, and/or Hispanic/Latinx populations
- Experience in professional advising or retention services within higher education
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflicts and/or solve complex problems
- Proven skills in working with student record-keeping database (i.e. PeopleSoft, Navigate or similar systems) and Microsoft Office Suite
- Provide advisement and support to multicultural students in areas such as academics, graduate education, career exploration, leadership development, etc. including maintaining a caseload of students.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to facilitate support services and make appropriate referrals.
- Coordinate leadership and career initiatives and programs to include MSS Leadership Retreat, Multicultural Leadership Award Ceremony, networking event, career development series, etc.
- Utilize EAB Navigate to monitor students' academic progress (early alert, early and high support retention initiative, probation/dismissal outreach, etc.), schedule advising appointments, and track student contacts.
- Conduct outreach and meet with students to assist and guide their college transition, develop a plan for academic success, connect them to appropriate services meeting their needs, and work collaboratively across campus to seek resources to support students.
- Organize and coordinate academic, leadership, career, personal and cultural enrichment activities.
- Facilitate opportunities to enhance multicultural understanding of students and serve as an ally within an inclusive campus environment.
- Develop leadership opportunities to enhance intercultural development and provide a supportive multicultural community for students.
- Promote student involvement in university activities and encourage participation in student organizations.
- Provide support to multicultural student organization(s) through advisement, leadership development, and guidance with event planning and coordination.
- Occasional evening and/or weekend work is expected.
- Other duties as assigned.
UW-Stout's Multicultural Student Services (MSS) office is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. MSS provides academic, career and personal support for students. MSS fosters opportunities for growth and development in connecting with others who value diversity and inclusion, as well as facilitating opportunities for network development. MSS prioritizes students' academic success through advising, mentoring, tutoring and facilitation of workshop opportunities. MSS helps students learn how to successfully invest in themselves and their education providing opportunities for financial literacy development. MSS also seeks to increase intercultural development of our students, to embrace and celebrate cultural differences and be their best selves. MSS is committed to supporting the professional development of its staff and in creating an environment that fosters individual and team learning and growth.
The MSS staff demonstrates the values of equity, diversity, and inclusivity, and has a commitment to collaboration, trust, respect, excellence, and accountability. MSS is a collaborative and professional work environment, in which we work respectfully and in partnership with UW-Stout employees, students and community members. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Minimum starting salary $42,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
To calculate the estimated value of your total compensation, use the Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate's completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
1. Cover letter*
2. Curriculum vitae or resume
3. Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
* Please use your cover letter to also speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by January 1, 2024. Applications submitted after this date may be reviewed until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Hannah Lammer
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Dana Isaacson
Job Family: Staff