Photographer & Video Producer
The full-time photo and video specialist position reports to the Marketing Communications (MarCom) Creative and Brand Manager. This position is responsible for producing a wide variety of creative, high-quality photography and video support, including official headshots, event and promotional photography, and video for the university's website, print publications, social media, and other marketing or communications channels related to the needs of the university. This position manages the university's digital asset management system (DAM) and file archives.
Availability for evening and weekend projects is required. This position requires working independently, with high discretion and adherence to university policies and procedures.
Official UW Title/ Job Description Photographer CM019
Minimum / Required:
- Five years of professional experience in photography and video production.
- Current portfolio demonstrating depth and breadth of photo capabilities.
- Proficiency with studio tools: lighting, technical software, and systems.
- Familiarity with all aspects of digital quality and output: file size, light, and color balancing.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop and Premiere Pro.
- Degree in photojournalism, marketing, communications, or a related field.
- Current portfolio examples demonstrating video capabilities.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience photographing and filming in natural and studio environments.
- Experienced in scripting, graphic design, and motion graphics.
- Experience organizing and archiving electronic and print image collections.
- Demonstrated project management skills and analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work proficiently in MS Office software applications (i.e. Word, Excel).
- Familiarity with project management tools, such as Smartsheets.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with diverse customer groups; including other employees, students, faculty, and staff for an inclusive environment.
Photo & Video Production
- Develop a digital storytelling strategy that aligns with the university's content calendar, showcases UW-Stout's strengths in all aspects of its mission, supports key priorities and initiatives, and highlights the university's vibrant and diverse community.
- Create multimedia content for various platforms, including, but not limited to, email, web, social media, and print, with excellent judgment, instincts, and knowledge of industry trends and best practices.
- Lead all aspects of photo and/or video production:
- Pre-Production: use creative and technical expertise to evaluate projects, develop concepts/storyboards, conduct pre-interviews/casting, and coordinate production or photography sessions.
- Communicating and coordinating with individuals to set up a time and locations for planned photoshoots.
- Production: proficiency with lighting, audio, camera equipment, and b-roll, as well as an awareness of the UW-Stout style necessary to uphold the university's brand.
- Post-Production: proficiency in post-production photo and video editing, sound mixing, color correction, music licensing, and graphics treatment and effects.
- You will partner with the Marketing Communications Team to ensure final products meet project goals and creative direction and submit them to appropriate individuals.
- Provide direction and guidance to talent and members of the Marketing Communications Team during on-site photo and/or video productions.
- Actively investigate and suggest new ways to improve multimedia engagement on all platforms, including the university's social media channels, emails, and website.
- Analyze content performance and report on activities, including key insights to shape and drive digital media strategy moving forward.
- Photograph university events, internal and external, student engagement, marketing supportive needs, faculty, and staff portraits.
Equipment & Asset Management
- Purchase and maintain photo and video equipment inventory.
- Oversee development and ongoing maintenance of Photoshelter digital asset management (DAM) archives.
- Build and maintain the university's Photoshelter online galleries.
- Manage photo and video participant release process.
- File and folder management project organization and archiving.
Communications Integration & Support
- Develop a solid understanding of communicating through a EDI lens, and work to embed those principles into multimedia needs.
- Support and maintain internal processes and practices, as well as develop new approaches to improve efficiency, responsiveness, and strategic communications.
Marketing & Communications leads and implements cross-campus marketing communications, strategies, and research to help drive UW-Stout's enrollment, partnerships, and fundraising initiatives. UW-Stout's Marketing & Communications Department is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
Complete applications received by the end of the day, November 7, 2023, are ensured full consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or visit https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
1. Cover letter (* See below)
2. Curriculum vitae or resume
3. Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application, you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Andrew Liedl
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Sky Willam
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience. UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate's completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Staff