Senior Marketing Officer
Senior Marketing Officer
The University of Wisconsin-Stout (UW-Stout) invites applications and nominations for the position of Senior Marketing Officer. The anticipated start date would be during March 2022.
The Senior Marketing Officer (SMO) reports to the Chancellor and serves on the Chancellor’s Cabinet. The SMO oversees major initiatives to manage the university's reputation, heighten visibility, and generate revenue support through enrollment, fundraising, and partnership development. UW-Stout is seeking an experienced marketing communications professional who is passionate about and committed to promoting the development of an equitable and inclusive environment.
The SMO directs the Marketing Communications (MarCom) unit and provides leadership for an extended team of marketing communications professionals across the university as chair of the Integrated Marketing and Communications (IMC) committee. We are seeking a highly creative, forward-thinking, strategic leader with excellent management, judgment, and communication skills, along with the proven ability to work collaboratively. The SMO is responsible for the planning, implementation and measurement of comprehensive marketing and public relations campaigns for a broad audience of prospective students, donors, industry and business partners, and the general public.
Minimum / Required
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field from accredited college/university
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and public relations skills
- Five (5) years of experience in successfully creating and implementing marketing strategies
- Three (3) years of experience in management, including budget development and personnel supervision
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate teams, work effectively in a team environment as well as the ability to work independently toward achieving large, complex organization or higher education goals
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a work environment that embraces equity, diversity and inclusion
- Familiarity with established and emerging uses of marketing technology
- Expertise developing compelling messages for targeted and diverse audiences
- Master’s degree in marketing or related field from accredited college/university
- Five (5) years of successful and progressive experience planning and implementing integrated marketing and communications strategies, preferably in a large, complex organization or higher education
- Experience leading and sustaining change through effective communication
- Demonstrated experience working with a CRM such as Salesforce
- Demonstrated record of outstanding project management skills
- Demonstrated success in managing, supporting, and motivating staff
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability and experience developing strategic partnerships with a diverse group of constituents
The ideal candidate will:
- Serve as the key marketing communications advisor to the institution’s senior leadership – identifying challenges, emerging issues, and opportunities to advance the institution’s brand and enrollment, fundraising, and partnership goals.
- Establish short- and long-term goals with regard to marketing communications policy, procedures, and strategy in alignment with the University’s strategic plan and priorities.
- Stay informed and report out on higher education marketing and communications emerging trends and media technology to ensure UW-Stout leads with initiative and innovation.
- Create and disseminate key marketing messages to enhance the Stout brand through compelling content that conveys our polytechnic educational experience and increases awareness with constituents through paid, earned, and owned platforms.
- Serve as an influential leader supporting and strengthening the University's commitment to recruit a more diverse student population through intentional alignment with university efforts regarding equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Participate with other university leaders in fostering a culture where members of the University community, including faculty, staff, and students are active partners in creating an open, inclusive, and equitable learning environment.
- Chair the IMC committee charged with integrating university marketing communications efforts to better achieve university goals through the implementation of a content strategy and a multi-year action plan to implement initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with university leadership and stakeholders involved with individual academic programs, services, and initiatives to provide oversight and prioritization and ensure consistent, effective messaging and material development that is aligned with the wider university marketing strategy.
- Educate university-wide audiences in best practices and promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement in marketing communications practices/strategy.
- Continually assess marketing needs, brand, user experiences, and ROI on initiatives.
- Recommend appropriate budgets to achieve marketing goals and work within allocated budgets to target audiences making decisions about UW-Stout.
- Manage relationships with associated vendors and serve as the liaison with advertising outlets.
- Lead the MarCom team to support the research, creation and execution of marketing strategies, plans and programs through the development and delivery of multi-channel content, campaigns and collateral materials.
- Recruit, manage, mentor, and develop staff by consistently using a supportive and collaborative approach, establishing and modeling performance expectations and standards, and fostering a positive, innovative culture.
- Provide guidance and oversight for the team managers who provide front-line supervision of the day-to-day unit activities including budgeting, personnel management, and project management.
- Ensure a customer service-oriented structure for the unit and provide effective expertise, services, tools, and resources for campus departments in support of institutional priorities within the context of a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Assist the Chancellor’s Head of Staff as requested.
Marketing Communications leads and implements marketing communications research and strategies to help drive UW-Stout's enrollment, partnerships, and fundraising initiatives. Our vision is to be at the forefront of higher education marketing communications by consistently adapting to the dynamic landscape and engaging our audiences with the UW-Stout brand.
Marketing Communications (MarCom) works collaboratively across campus to lead campus-wide marketing strategies through:
- Development and implementation of strategic marketing plans and campaigns to support a variety of campus goals
- Oversight of branding guidelines, imagery, and our internet presence
- Engagement of students, donors, and partners through the effective implementation of storytelling via news stories, web, publications, email campaigns, advertising, social media, and video
- Data and research to help inform strategic decision making
- Leadership, education, and outreach with the Integrated Marketing Committee (IMC), Web Team, Web Oversight Committee, and Identity Committee
UW-Stout’s Marketing Communications is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens in an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive community that fosters a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees, including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students.
UW-Stout is committed to investing in and ensuring access to, equitable, diverse, and inclusive learning, student living, and work environments that reflect our regional and global connections.
The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW-System title for this position is here. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.1279.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- a current resume
- a letter of interest describing relevant experience
- three references
- an equity, diversity, and inclusion statement that explains how the candidate supports such institutional efforts through strategic marketing and communications.
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by December 12, 2021. Applications submitted after December 12, 2021 may be reviewed until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Gary Schuster
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Doreen Johnson