Service Manager-Memorial Student Center
The Service Manager of the Memorial Student Center manages and supervises Fireside Café and Blue Devil Market service areas, as well as on-campus snack vending, and assisting with catering events, and express locations. This position works closely with student staff, front of house employees, and administrative staff to ensure quality service is provided to customers, while focusing on food safety and sanitation, efficiency of service, presentation, and portion control. Additionally, this position monitors and provides fiscal analysis of Memorial Student Center dining operations utilizing point of sale and menu management software. This position reports to the Unit Manager of the Memorial Student Center. The anticipated start day is January 2, 2020.
Minimum / Required
- Associate’s Degree
- Three years’ experience in foodservice operations
- Bachelor’s Degree
- ServSafe certification or equivalent state certification
- Experience in a variety of foodservice operations: catering, fast food, grab & go, convenience stores, food courts, cafeterias, and concessions
- Experience in management and supervisory practices and procedures
- Experience in nutrition, special diets, and food allergens
- Experience in commercial food sourcing and purchasing
- Experience in Point of Sale software systems
- Experience in menu management software systems
- Experience in developing training materials
- Experience managing food, labor, and supply costs
- Experience in recipe and menu development
- Experience in commercial foodservice equipment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to plan, establish, and attain long range goals
- Three (3) years or more of full-time production and/or service experience in a university/college foodservice operation
- Experience training and directing university/college student employees in a foodservice operation
- Ensure quality service at the MSC Blue Devil Market and Fireside Café
- Manage on campus snack vending and assist in express retail units
- Establish and practice good customer relations
- Collaborate with University Dining management team in achievement of overall University Dining operational goals
University Dining is a self-operated auxiliary on the UW-Stout campus with a $10 million budget. The department has three facilities that house and provide services, including Merle Price Commons, North Point Dining, and the Memorial Student Center. Operations include Merle Price Commons Cafeteria and North Point Cafeteria, retail outlets in the Memorial Student Center (food court & marketplace), express locations in academic buildings, convenience stores, catering, and concessions. The department has 44 permanent staff and over 400 student employees. Some locations operate year-round while others are closed during the summer period.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
The minimum starting annual salary is $45,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/police/clery.cfm
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Official transcripts required at time of hire
To ensure consideration, complete applications must be submitted online by Monday, November 25, 2019, at midnight. Screening of applications may continue to until the position is filled.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Emily Kuznar
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Jason Horzewski
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
Job Family: Supervisory