Study Abroad Advisor - Revised*
The primary purpose of the Study Abroad Advisor is to advise UW-Stout students on a multitude of study away opportunities including domestic and international faculty-led programs, exchanges, and direct enroll programs. The Study Abroad Advisor works closely with UW-Stout faculty in the planning, promotion, and execution of faculty-led programs, and advises prospective students on the academic, financial and cultural aspects of all study away programming. The Study Abroad Advisor promotes programs through campus-wide marketing efforts, manages enrollment, and conducts pre-departure and re-entry programming for participants. Significant responsibilities also include coordinating major promotional events, and scholarship fundraising initiatives. The anticipated start date is January 2, 2020.
Minimum / Required
- Bachelor’s Degree completed by employment start date*
- International Experience (equivalent to one semester or more)
- Master’s Degree
- Flexibility, the ability to establish priorities, and manage multiple demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail, strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Experience working with students, faculty, and others from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate in the planning and implementation of large-scale events, orientation programs, cross-cultural activities, and student support services with the campus and community.
- Strong marketing skills, including the ability to leverage in-person communication, print media, and social media to convey the value of these programs.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Terra Dotta (or other study abroad software).
- 60% Faculty-Led Program Development & Study Away Student Advising
- Assists faculty in the development, promotion, and execution of new/repeat faculty-led programs.
- Maintains regular communication with deans, department chairs, and program directors regarding programs offered through their units.
- Conducts outreach and training sessions to faculty and staff on campus and develops and implements annual faculty orientation sessions.
- Advises prospective students on the academic, financial and cultural aspects of direct, exchange, faculty-led and National Student Exchange programs.
- Advises students on post-acceptance processes and manages follow-up (track host school acceptance, housing placements, etc.).
- Develops materials and participates in pre-departure orientation for outbound participants.
- Assists with the maintenance of information in the online application database, Terra Dotta.
- Provides resources to students on visa requirements, if applicable.
- Facilitates post-program activities (alumni events, program evaluations and assessments, etc.).
- Conducts re-entry community activities and facilitates Global Ambassador program.
- 30% Marketing & Recruitment
- Assists with marketing plan for student participant recruitment.
- Recruits and promotes on and off campus for outbound programs (i.e. classroom presentations, study abroad fairs).
- Facilitates campus events (group advising, informational sessions, informational booths).
- Creates and maintains printed promotional materials.
- 10% Miscellaneous Efforts
- Coordinates visits for representatives from partner institutions coming to UW-Stout.
- Assists with special projects and strategic planning, such as fundraising initiatives.
- Assists with official reporting of data as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To learn more about the Office of International Education, please visit http://www.uwstout.edu/oie.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the system--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences and a solid liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 48 undergraduate and 26 graduate degrees, including two terminal degrees. Student enrollment is just over 9,500.
UW-Stout faculty enjoy opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry, and faculty are encouraged to maintain strong ties and seek collaborative projects within their disciplines and industries.
All undergraduate students participating in traditional, on campus-based programs are issued laptops. Faculty use the university’s online course delivery system and must be available for online interactions and/or alternate time frames for teaching. Faculty members teach, advise students, conduct research, assess student learning and engage in service activities.
Menomonie, Wisconsin, is a town of 16,000 located in the beautiful Chippewa River Valley, 25 miles west of Eau Claire and 60 miles east of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: http://www.uwstout.edu/police/clery.cfm
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Scott Pierson
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Patti Kahler
Before starting the online application process we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: ¿https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
Job Family: Staff