User Support Specialist III *Revised minimum qualifications/extended application deadline*
This position delivers strategically significant and highly specialized information technology support services to end users in support of institutional technology operation.
Reporting to the Director of Client Technology Services (CTS), this position provides guidance, technology road mapping, and technical support for end users. In addition to this, the User Support Specialist III is responsible for supporting the eStout Student Laptop Program, the PC Repair program, and consultancy services with UW-Stout departments. Services include support of student, faculty, and staff notebook and desktop computers, maintenance of Stout inventories, and documentation and consultation on computer related technologies.
The User Support Specialist III position routinely plans and directs/oversees the work of student employees involved in eStout and PC Repair program tasks.
Minimum / Required
- Dedication to and emphasis on providing excellent customer service
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with staff and clients
- 3 years' worth of experience in a technical environment
- Knowledge of Service Desk functions and IT Service Management
- Experience supporting macOS or Windows operating systems
- Comprehension of effective and efficient troubleshooting techniques
- Awareness of endpoint management, maintenance, and support technologies
- Experience mentoring entry level technical staff
- Associate’s or Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field
- Experience in higher education
- Demonstrated experience recognizing trends and patterns in technology-related issues
- Experience with IT Asset Management
- Experience providing hardware support for Apple and HP endpoints
- Knowledge of basic principles of classroom technology
- Experience supporting mobile devices
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to plan, prioritize, and think strategically
- Knowledge of Microsoft products, including but not limited to, Office365
User Support and Consulting
- Monitor ticketing system to identify issues that require escalation or additional resources
- Serve as a main point of contact for individuals and groups providing advanced level organizational information about technology resources and addressing their needs
- Develop and facilitate individual and group end user trainings, answer questions, and provide information specific to complex information technology end user products and services
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data to solve problems requiring high knowledge in a specific discipline.
- Complete procurements, installations, configurations, repairs, automations, and modifications of complex technology hardware, software, and associated components independently
- Design, implement, troubleshoot, and resolve complex data, network connectivity, client/server processes, and application issues according to established policies and procedures
- Lead, schedule logistics, and secure resources for the completion of technology system integrations, compatibility tests, and functionality maintenance according to established user requirements
- Serve as a main point of contact for individuals and groups providing advanced-level organizational information about technology resources and addressing their needs
- Ensure customer satisfaction by responding to tickets escalated from the Technology Helpdesk.
- Escalate issues to the CTS Director or other advanced teams which cannot be resolved by the team.
- Communicate with faculty, students, and staff to ensure computing needs are addressed in a timely fashion
- Provide problem diagnosis and resolution for operating system, utilities, security, backup/restore and campus-supported software
- Evaluate new hardware and software and make recommendations
- Consult with faculty and staff on the implementation of new technology
- Provide technical support and training in the use of campus-supported software and other technology, including printers and other peripherals
- Ensure compliance with and educate users on software copyright and licensing agreements
- Maintain an awareness of campus initiatives and policies that support and affect computing and digital communications
Support of the eStout Laptop Program
- Monitor ticketing system to identify issues that require escalation or additional resources
- Mentor, train and provide guidance to a team of student support workers and assist them in their day-to-day support of our eStout and PC Repair programs
- Participate in the maintenance of student laptop and laptop accessory inventories
- Provide expertise on the installation and maintenance of software specific to the student laptop program
- Participate In the planning of laptop images for use on student laptops
- Provide requested inventory data to eStout and PC Repair team in support of both programs
- Participate in student laptop deployment and return processes
- Assist in the training and professional guidance of QA and PC Repair student staff
See UW System Job Description: User Support Specialist III
Click on the Apply button provided or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter*
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by January 26, 2023, revised deadline. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: David Ackley
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Gretchen Metzler
Learning and Information Technology (LIT) is a support organization dedicated to providing efficient and effective state-of-the-art learning and information technology solutions and services to students, faculty, and staff for instruction, administration, and public service in support of the University's mission.
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Minimum starting salary of $50,000 and UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Staff