User Support Specialist III
This position delivers strategically significant and highly specialized information technology support services to end users in support of institutional technology operation.
Reporting to the Director of Campus Card and Student Life & Services Technical Services (SL&S TS), this position provides guidance, technology road mapping, and technical support for end users. In addition to this, the User Support Specialist III is responsible for supporting software applications within Student Life & Services (SL&S), supporting hardware, and consultancy services with UW-Stout departments. Services include support of student, faculty, and staff notebook and desktop computers, maintenance of Stout inventories, and documentation and consultation on computer related technologies. The User Support Specialist III position routinely plans and directs/oversees the work of student employees.
Official UW Title/Job Description: User Support Specialist III (IT051)
Minimum / Required
· 2 years of experience in a technical environment
· Experience with Windows operating systems
· Awareness of endpoint management, maintenance, and/or support techniques
· Dedication to and emphasis on providing excellent customer service
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with staff and clients
· Comprehension of effective and efficient troubleshooting techniques
· Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field
· Experience mentoring entry level technical staff
· Experience supervising student employees
· Experience working in a higher education environment
· Knowledge of Microsoft products, including but not limited to, Office365, OneDrive, Teams and SharePoint
· Knowledge of help desk ticketing systems
· Experience supporting MacOS operating systems
· Excellent organizational skills including the ability to plan, prioritize, and think strategically
· Demonstrated experience recognizing trends and patterns in technology-related issues
· Experience with IT Asset Management
· Experience with multiple software programs
· Experience supporting mobile devices
Software and Hardware Support
· Determine application and implementation feasibility from technical perspectives and determine if the application fits the needs/requirements
· Read and understand licensing agreements and their implications in software use
· Develop technical knowledge about the software and data structures delivered with purchased applications
· Troubleshoot, identify, and resolve application issues
· Develop reports using application data from software packages
· Assist with training on SL&S approved applications
· Analyze and document how current software is fitting the needs of a SL&S department
· Plan and test upgrades to supported software
· Support or provide backup for SL&S supported applications
· Evaluate new hardware and make recommendations
· Install and support department owned hardware and devices.
· Establish and maintain close liaison with vendors’ technical representatives.
· Provide assistance, training and support for the use of printers and other peripherals
· Support campus inventory initiatives as they relate to IT equipment
User Support and Consulting
· Monitor ticketing system to identify issues that require escalation or additional resources
· Serve as a main point of contact for individuals and groups providing advanced level organizational information about technology resources and addressing their needs
· Develop and facilitate individual and group end user trainings, answer questions, and provide information specific to complex information technology end user products and services
· Complete procurements, installations, configurations, repairs, automations, and modifications of technology hardware, software, and associated components independently
· Design, implement, troubleshoot, and resolve complex data, network connectivity, client/server processes, and application issues according to established policies and procedures
· Lead, schedule logistics, and secure resources for the completion of technology system integrations, compatibility tests, and functionality maintenance according to established user requirements
· Communicate with students and staff to ensure computing needs are addressed in a timely fashion
· Provide technical support, troubleshooting, and training for hardware, software or network problems that may occur on campus provided computers
· Consult with staff on the implementation of new technology
· Ensure compliance with and educate users on software copyright and licensing agreements
· Maintain an awareness of campus initiatives and policies that support and affect computing and digital communications
· Provide expertise on the use of campus technology to improve processes, efficiency and service delivery
Student Life & Services Technical Services Activities and Duties
· Mentor, train and assist a team of SL&S student technicians in their day-to-day support of our clients and application systems
· Help create a team environment based on trust, open communication, creative thinking, and cohesive team effort
· As a member of the Student Life & Services Technical Services department, participate as a team member in staff meetings, on special projects and committees
· Perform other tasks as directed by management
Student Life & Services (SL&S) Technical Services is a support organization dedicated to providing efficient and effective state-of-the-art learning and information technology solutions and services to students and staff for administration, student life, and public service in support of the University's mission.
UW-Stout’s Student Life & Services Technical Services Department is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
Complete applications received by end of day, May 14, 2023 are ensured full consideration. Applications submitted after May 14, 2023 may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (* See below)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Staci Kaufman
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Emily Barth
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Minimum starting salary of $50,000; commensurate with finalist’s qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Staff
Job Reference #: 19633