UW Transfer Academic Advisor
ABOUT THE JOB: Academic Advisor
UW-Stout is seeking a candidate for a UW Transfer Academic Advisor position to help increase student transfers from Chippewa Valley Technical College (CVTC) to UW-Stout, UW-River Falls, and UW-Eau Claire. The UW Transfer Academic Advisor will be home-based at the main CVTC campus in Eau Claire and travel to various CVTC and regional UW institutions. The UW Transfer Academic Advisor will work closely with prospective and current CVTC students, transfer teams at CVTC and each regional UW institution, and CVTC and regional UW institution marketing departments to support students navigating transfer pathways and encouraging application to and attendance at regional UW institutions in northwest Wisconsin.
Minimum / Required
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of two years' experience working with students or clients to further their academic success.
- Experience presenting information in a large group setting.
- Experience working in a collaborative office environment.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
- Valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one.
- Earned master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education or in the process of receiving a master’s degree.
- Post-secondary experience.
- Spanish or other bilingual capabilities.
- Work in partnership with indirect supervisors at CVTC, UW-Eau Claire, and UW-River Falls.
- Serve as point of contact for prospective students, assist with navigating career paths and encouraging application to UW system schools (UW-Stout, UW-River Falls, UW-Eau Claire) to contribute to the system goal of increasing student transfers.
- Provide career and educational programing and planning services for prospective students in collaboration with regional UWS institutions (UW-Stout, UW-River Falls, UW-Eau Claire). Ensure consistency with messaging.
- Study and become familiar with the services and program offerings of each campus to create supplemental educational opportunities.
- Work in collaboration with local staff (campus partners, instructors, administrators, and regional campus staff) to assist students in pathway decision-making.
- Coordinate and conduct group advisement sessions for new and continuing students.
- Provide academic advising to current students regarding program pathways to regional UW institutions, program qualifications, course selection, prerequisites, recommended course load, registration, and graduation.
- Assist students with degree audit process; refer to program advisor and staff when appropriate.
- Assist students in developing academic plans to achieve desired goals.
- Consider transfer credits and advise students regarding transferability of courses to and from CVTC, including reverse transferability.
- Provide comprehensive college information to students regarding programs and admissions processes/requirements at regional UW institutions, financial aid, and other services, Make referrals when appropriate.
- Interpret and communicate CVTC and UW policies and procedures as to how they apply to each UW institution.
- Inform new and continuing students about the services and resources available at CVTC and regional UW institutions to support student success and a seamless transfer experience.
- Participate in recruitment activities (special events, open houses, campus tours, etc.) when appropriate.
- Help with CVTC and regional UW transfer events and assist with coordination and implementation of activities.
- Collaborate with CVTC program advisors to coordinate student support and advisement in ERP systems.
- Stay current on UW system admission guidelines, programs, continuing education opportunities for students, and trends in student recruitment and advisement.
- Coordinate sharing of student information with regional UW institutions per established communication protocols.
- Document and assess activities using approved metrics to refine processes continually and effectively.
- Compile and create reports, with monthly interim progress milestones and final details as determined.
- Meet regularly (weekly, biweekly, monthly as needed) with transfer teams at CVTC and each regional UW institution.
- Travel to various CVTC and regional UW campuses as needed.
- Collaborate with CVTC, UW-Stout, UW-River Falls, and UW-Eau Claire marketing departments to support messaging and recommendation for informational resources.
- Coordinate professional development related to transfer for faculty and staff at, and in collaboration with, CVTC and the regional UW institutions.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor(s).
FERPA RESPONSIBILITY UW institutions and CVTC will abide by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.
UW-Stout’s Enrollment and Strategic Initiatives Unit is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/benefits-estimator/
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
To ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by September 28, 2022. Applications submitted after September 28, 2022 may be reviewed until the position is filled.
Required application materials:
- Letter of application outlining interest and qualifications for the position. (*See below)
- Resume or vita.
- One-page statement demonstrating commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Contact information for three professional references familiar with your professional work; including a current supervisor.
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Laura King
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Bethany Risler
Job Family: Staff