Vice Chancellor for Business, Finance, and Administrative Services
The University of Wisconsin-Stout invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice Chancellor for Business, Finance, and Administrative Services.
Reporting directly to the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor serves in an executive position to provide leadership and administrative oversight for business and financial services, budget, facilities management, capital planning, human resources, safety and risk management, record stewardship, and sustainability coordination. As the chief business officer, the Vice Chancellor works closely with other executive officers, deans, and directors, and interacts with faculty, academic staff, university staff, students, and community members to accomplish the many initiatives necessary to help lead Wisconsin’s polytechnic university. The Vice Chancellor also collaborates with University of Wisconsin System leadership and staff regarding divisional operations and needs and serves as a strong advocate for the University of Wisconsin-Stout and its constituents.
Minimum / Required
- A bachelor’s in accounting, finance, economics, business, public, or higher education administration, or related field;
- At least 5 years of progressive leadership experience relevant to the portfolio;
- Demonstrated understanding of and belief in the academic enterprise and mission of UW-Stout as Wisconsin’s polytechnic university;
- Ability to serve as a high-level advisor to the chancellor on issues of financial planning and forecasting;
- Experience in and commitment to the areas of strategic planning, policy and procedure development, and accountability;
- Proven ability to problem-solve and lead in a resource-challenged environment and recommend immediate and long-term solution-based strategies to the institutional leadership and the university community, and deliver results;
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Proven ability to foster team building, promote professionalism and customer service, and build leadership capacity;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to oversee multiple projects simultaneously with a focus on clarity, details, and deadlines;
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion work resulting in tangible outcomes within an organization or institution; and
- Evidence of ethical and transparent leadership style.
- A master’s or doctoral degree in accounting, finance, economics, business, public, or higher education administration, or related field;
- Work experience in higher education, government, or related field;
- Experience working in a public, post-secondary institution that is part of a larger university system;
- Experience working in a shared governance environment with students and faculty/staff;
- Experience developing public-private partnerships, as well as identifying and creating new revenue streams; and
- Demonstrated leadership and delivery capability in change and transition management.
The ideal candidate will:
Effectively and efficiently administer the units organized as the division of Business, Finance, and Administrative Services;
Understand the complexities of working in a resource-challenged environment and recommend strategies for short- and long-term data-driven decisions tied to informed budget modeling and financial planning;
Collaborate effectively with other members of the executive leadership team with respect to planning and decision-making that crosses divisions, including, but not limited to, budget, facilities management, capital planning, human resources, safety and risk management, record stewardship, and sustainability;
Possess the skills and mindset to propose, lead, champion, and deliver both necessary and innovative ways to plan and ultimately thrive in any environment (including post-COVID);
Understand how to function effectively within a university system, form partnerships, and participate confidently and in informed ways in developing initiatives;
Lead difficult conversations with clarity, compassion, and consistency; and
Be a trusted leader respected for their preparation, professionalism, innovative ideas, and solution-based approach.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 49 undergraduate and 22 graduate degrees, including three terminal degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students. The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands.
More information about the UW-Stout community and region: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks. Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office at 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Status: Full Time