Vice Chancellor of Enrollment and Strategic Initiatives
The University of Wisconsin-Stout (UW-Stout) invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice Chancellor of Enrollment and Strategic Initiatives.
An innovative leader within the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Stout offers an unparalleled career-focused education that integrates applied learning, theory and research and real-world experiences to prepare our students for the future. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we’re proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 47 undergraduate, 21 masters and 3 advanced programs and more than 30 certificate options in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 8,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin’s only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Our digital infrastructure is centered on student success, from how we first interact with prospective students and their families to graduating students prepared with tools and insights for success. Technology is woven into the fabric of UW-Stout. We are a laptop campus enabling us to ensure students and faculty have a standard set of tools – hardware and software - with 80% of our academic resources in digital form for our students. Our digital learning environment includes Salesforce, Canvas, PeopleSoft, and our campus partners with EAB for student success tools. We are always looking to maximize student engagement through innovative system utilization.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community.
This Vice Chancellor is a cabinet-level position who is responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction for all aspects of university enrollment management. The Vice Chancellor reports to the Chancellor and supervises the following areas: Admissions, the Advisement Center, Financial Aid, Registration and Records, Stout Online, Continuing Education, and Professional Education. These areas work in collaboration with leaders in Academic Affairs; Student Life; Business, Finance, and Administrative Services, Marketing Communications, and other units to meet university goals for recruitment and retention. The Enrollment and Strategic Initiatives unit is comprised of approximately 80 employees with a total budget of over $7.2 million.
The Vice Chancellor of Enrollment and Strategic Initiatives will be a proven leader who is able to establish and maintain effective and responsible working relationships. This individual will have demonstrated abilities in strategic enrollment management planning, budget, and assessment; a record of proven results to promote an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment; possess the ability to build a strong team and develop and maintain collaborative relationships; and exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills. A successful candidate will demonstrate ethical values, creativity, energy and will be committed to student success and the mission of UW-Stout as Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University.
The ideal candidate will:
- Provide strategic enrollment leadership by maximizing data, research, and thoughtful and thorough assessment of UW-Stout’s unique positioning as Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University;
- Lead a team that will guide all facets of the university’s enrollment, including existing student classifications and identifying new markets;
- Possess the skills and mindset to lead and champion institutionally innovative recruitment and retention strategies necessary in a post-COVID, post-secondary context;
- Lead work with units across the university to recruit and retain a more diverse student population through intentional alignment with university efforts regarding equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- Lead implementation and maintain oversight of a university-wide strategic enrollment management plan and ensure comprehensive involvement, shared responsibility and accountability, and integration with the institutional planning process;
- Maintain a clear understanding of each stage of the enrollment process and how to work with appropriate university partners to successfully enhance the results at each stage for various student populations;
- Have experience recruiting for and working with a wide variety of student markets including traditional, online, transfer, adult learners, and non-traditional students;
- Understand the value of professional and continuing education and the development and support of non-traditional educational pathways for credit and non-credit credentialing and licensure;
- Understand how to function effectively within a university system, form partnerships, and participate confidently and in informed ways in promising initiatives;
- Have budgeting experience, including a comprehensive understanding of various funding sources; the ability to identify, expand, and diversify revenue streams; and the skills to lead thoughtfully through budgetary constraints and limitations;
- Actively engage in collaborative endeavors with both internal and external stakeholders that assist individual departments and divisional units in reaching goals and initiatives;
- Have proven leadership abilities through dynamic and changing environments and have the trust of those with whom they work;
- Have successfully supervised professional staff and intentionally seek to develop staff who are relevant, thoughtful, and forward-thinking in their work with faculty, staff, and students;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing and serve confidently as a spokesperson for units in their area of supervision.
- Bachelor's degree?(an advanced degree in related field preferred);
- Demonstrated experience in strategic enrollment management, including effective data-driven planning and decision-making through collaboration with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Minimum of five (5)?years of management experience in higher education student services administration or a related field, including supervision experience and fiscal management;?
- Demonstrated experience in working with a wide variety of student groups and learning modalities;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion work resulting in tangible outcomes within an organization or institution;
- Demonstrated knowledge, ingenuity, and creativity in developing successful recruitment and retention strategies and identifying new and emerging markets.
Application and Nomination Process
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Submission of materials via the search e-mail below is strongly encouraged and applications submitted by February 17, 2023 will receive priority consideration.
Applicants must submit a current curriculum vitae; a letter of interest describing relevant experience; and an equity, diversity, and inclusion statement that explains how the candidate supports such institutional efforts through the strategic enrollment management process. Nomination letters should include the name, position, and contact information for the nominee. All nominations and applications will be handled in confidence.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout is being assisted in this search by Storbeck Search, for additional information, please contact: UWStoutVCEM@storbecksearch.com.
Tom Fitch, Managing Director
Beth McCarthy, Senior Associate
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups: veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate passing a criminal background check and a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
A successful candidate must have authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
Job Status: Full Time