Video Producer & Photographer
UW-Stout Marketing Communications (MarCom) is excited to announce that we are seeking applications for our full-time Video Producer and Photographer position. As the MarCom video producer and photographer, you will lead digital storytelling efforts that bring the university’s brand to life, engage key audiences, drive organizational awareness, and support UW-Stout’s key priorities, including our FOCUS 2030 Strategic Plan.
ABOUT THE JOB:
As part of the MarCom Team, the video producer and photographer role has significant university-wide responsibilities and requires an individual with a collaborative mindset, commitment to inclusion, and excellent interpersonal skills. You will plan and manage all aspects of multimedia production using creative thinking, strong project management skills, editing expertise, and a knowledge of the best practices in digital media for various platforms. In addition, this person will be responsible for managing photo and video equipment and developing and maintaining a digital asset management system.
Minimum / Required
- Five years of professional experience in photography and video production.
- Current portfolio demonstrating depth and breadth of photo and video capabilities.
- Proficiency with studio tools: lighting, technical software, and systems.
- Familiarity with all aspects of digital quality and output: file size, light, and color balancing.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop and Premiere Pro.
• Undergraduate degree in photojournalism, marketing, communications, or a related field.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
• Experience photographing and filming in natural and studio environments.
• Experienced in scripting, graphic design, and motion graphics.
• Experience organizing and archiving electronic and print image collections.
• Demonstrated project management skills and analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to work proficiently in MS Office software applications (i.e. Word, Excel)
• Familiarity with project management tools, such as Smartsheets.
See UW System Job Description: Photographer, CM019 for standard job description.
70% Video & Photo Production
- Develop a digital storytelling strategy that aligns with the university’s content calendar, showcases UW-Stout’s strengths in all aspects of its mission, supports key priorities and initiatives, and highlights the university’s vibrant and diverse community.
- Create multimedia content for various platforms, including, but not limited to email, web, social media, and print, with excellent judgement, instincts, and knowledge of industry trends and best practices.
- Lead all aspects of photo and video production:
- Pre-Production: use creative and technical expertise to evaluate projects, develop concepts/storyboards, conduct pre-interviews/casting, and coordinate production.
- Production: proficiency with lighting, audio, camera equipment, and b-roll, as well as an awareness of the UW-Stout style necessary to uphold the university’s brand.
- Post-Production: proficiency in post-production editing, sound mixing, color correction, music licensing, and graphics treatment and effects.
- You will partner with the SPH Communications Team to ensure final products meet project goals and creative direction.
- Provide direction and guidance to talent and members of the MarCom team during on-site production.
- Actively investigate and suggest new ways to improve multimedia engagement on all platforms, including the university’s social media channels, emails, and website.
- Analyze content performance and report on activities, including key insights to shape and drive digital media strategy moving forward.
- Photograph faculty and staff portraits.
20% Equipment & Asset Management
- Purchase and maintain photo and video equipment.
- Oversee development and ongoing maintenance of Photoshelter digital asset management (DAM) archives.
- Build and maintain the university’s Photoshelter online galleries.
- Manage photo and video participant release process.
10% Communications Integration & Support
- Develop a solid understanding of communicating through a EDI lens, and work to embed those principles into multimedia products.
- Support and maintain internal processes and practices, as well as develop new approaches to improve efficiency, responsiveness, and strategic communications.
Marketing Communications leads and implements¿marketing¿communications research and strategies to¿help¿drive UW-Stout's enrollment, partnerships, and fundraising initiatives. Our vision is to be at the forefront of higher education marketing communications by consistently adapting to the dynamic landscape and engaging our audiences with the UW-Stout brand.
Marketing Communications (MarCom) works collaboratively across campus to lead campus-wide marketing strategies through:
- Development and implementation of strategic marketing plans and campaigns to support a variety of campus goals
- Oversight of branding guidelines, imagery, and our internet presence
- Engagement of students, donors, and partners through the effective implementation of storytelling via news stories, web, publications, email campaigns, advertising, social media, and video
- Data and research to help inform strategic decision making
- Leadership, education, and outreach with the Integrated Marketing Committee (IMC), Web Team, Web Oversight Committee, and Identity Committee
UW-Stout’s Marketing Communications is committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens in an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive community that fosters a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees, including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students.
UW-Stout is committed to investing in and ensuring access to equitable, diverse, and inclusive learning, student living, and work environments that reflect our regional and global connections.
The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Required application materials:
- Cover letter (*See below)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
- Online portfolio of current video and photography work
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application. Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Gary Schuster
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Sky Willam
Job Family: Staff